Samsung Galaxy Gear Confirmed Coming in September

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-smartwatch-patent.jpg

According to Bloomberg, they have insider confirmation that Samsung will indeed be launching the Galaxy Gear smartwatch in September just as rumors previously suggested. Conversely, they also reported that the device will NOT have a flexible display as was reported in the previous rumor. Here's a quote with a host of details,

The Galaxy Gear will be powered by Google Inc.’s Android operating system and go on sale this year to beat a potentially competing product from Apple Inc. (AAPL), the people said. The device will be unveiled Sept. 4, two days before the IFA consumer electronics show begins in Berlin, one of the people said, asking not to be identified because the plans are private.

Asia’s biggest technology company is racing other electronics makers, including Sony Corp., to create a new industry of wearable devices as the market for top-end handsets nears saturation. The global watch industry will generate more than $60 billion in sales this year, and the first companies to sell devices that multitask could lock customers into their platform, boosting sales of smartphones, tablets and TVs.

“It will carve a niche for sure as this is an initial product in the market,” said Chung Chang Won, an analyst at Nomura Holdings Inc. in Seoul. “Wearable devices could be one of the trends in the smartphone market, but I’m not sure yet whether watches or glasses will set the trend.”

The Galaxy Gear being released next month won’t have a flexible display, though the company is continuing to work on developing a bendable screen, one person said. It will be unveiled the same day as Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3, a combination smartphone and tablet computer.

What do you guys think? If it is inexpensive and actually handled phone calls on the device, would you consider grabbing a smartwatch?

Source: Bloomberg

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
It depends on price and function. I backed Pebble's Kickstarter campaign and was really thrilled with the watch. The only problem is that it uses the same Android service as my Note II uses to communicate with the WACOM stylus. I had to choose between using my stylus and receiving phone information on my Pebble. I chose my stylus and am selling my Pebble. I may get the Samsung phone but I'll wait to see what the reviewers have to say first.