Samsung Files A Horde of New Trademarks; One is Called 'Nudge' - Touchless Control Feature?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-trippy-logo.jpg

Samsung recently filed for 11 new patents & trademarks at the USPTO. Most of these aren't terribly exciting as they are simply trademarks for a series of devices, like the Galaxy A series, the Galaxy E Series, and even some previously unknown Galaxy J Series (which are likely a new string of budget-friendly phones). Despite this horde of Trademarks, only one is worthy of mention.

Samsung has something coming called "Nudge" which seems to be some type of touchless control feature. Here's what the filing said about it, “software used for capturing gesture, facial, and voice recognition for the touchless control of other computer applications, computers, phones, smartwatches, and other mobile and multimedia devices.”

Insider's are speculating that this feature could actually show up in the Galaxy S6. What do you think? Does sound like an interesting new innovation or just more gimmicks from Sammy?

Here's a link to our Galaxy S6 section in the forum: Samsung Galaxy S6 General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This already exists. Unless I am misunderstanding the description.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's called Google Now. ;)

That along with Samsung Voice, Siri, Air View, the whole slew of gesture controls on the Samsung phones, etc.

I even have voice and gesture controls on my Samsung televisions

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This already exists. Unless I am misunderstanding the description.
Yup. You understood the description. Apparently, Samsung thinks their version can stand out.

Doubtful...

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They have to protect what they can. With all of the frivolous lawsuits always being thrown their way I'm surprised they haven't patented the word Smartphone.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
They have to protect what they can. With all of the frivolous lawsuits always being thrown their way I'm surprised they haven't patented the word Smartphone.
I'm all over that, thanks for the idea. Royalty checks forthcoming.

We must...We must...increase our boost

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sounds like gestures to control OTHER devices. Watching tv, wave your hand to change the volume, wave another direction to change channels. I can see some utility in that - but are we getting to the point where we're too lazy to even press a button? I can see a commercial with a kid waving their hand over the "easy button" and wondering why nothing is happening.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sounds like gestures to control OTHER devices. Watching tv, wave your hand to change the volume, wave another direction to change channels. I can see some utility in that - but are we getting to the point where we're too lazy to even press a button? I can see a commercial with a kid waving their hand over the "easy button" and wondering why nothing is happening.

Both of my current Samsung televisions have voice and gesture controls.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My LG TV's do as well and I never use the feature. I never use it on my phones either.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use the voice control feature a lot. I also use my phone to turn off the televisions, see programming, etc. I don't like the remotes because they use swipe based gestures for scrolling, typing in numbers, pausing... It's just much faster and convenient to use whichever phone/tablet is nearby.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I use the voice control feature a lot. I also use my phone to turn off the televisions, see programming, etc. I don't like the remotes because they use swipe based gestures for scrolling, typing in numbers, pausing... It's just much faster and convenient to use whichever phone/tablet is nearby.
My remote has a scroll wheel that's very easy to use. I also have a Logitech wireless KB, but must say I don't use it very often.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I don't know if my Sony does, but I use an a/v system so it wouldn't do me any good, anyway. Samsung was on to something with the infrared sensor on phones, but what they really needed was a radio transmitter.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I preferred it when my television controlling app was wifi powered. Now I have to actually be in line of sight with the televisions. Before it didn't matter.