Samsung Fascinate or X

pyro6128

Reaction score
I saw another thread, but it was old, and didn't address certain things. So my girlfriend is trying to decide between these two, and at first she seemed all set to get the X, but I told her to look into the fascinate too because of its gorgeous screen. So what I'm asking is which phone would you guys suggest as being better overall and why.

Another thing thats really important to her is how rootable the phone is, and what kind of development it has behind it. She's seen all the cool stuff I can do with my OG Droid and custom roms and wants to be able to do all that stuff (or have me do it) to her phone too. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

harrellj

Reaction score
The X has a locked bootloader, which still hasn't completely been broken. Its been gotten around so ROMs and such are available, but it does hamper things. I don't believe the Fascinate is bothered with such an issue. If she wants portability, the Fascinate might be more interesting just because it is a smaller screen.

The best way to decide though is to go into the store and play with them both.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Has the GPS been fixed yet on the Fascinate? My Droid X GPS turn on time is near instant.

Vmax

Reaction score
I just got a Fascinate, and haven't had any problems with GPS. I wouldn't call the lock instant, but it seems faster than my garmin. It also appears to be very accurate, showing what part of the house I'm in on google maps.

D

dvdcatalyst

I saw another thread, but it was old, and didn't address certain things. So my girlfriend is trying to decide between these two, and at first she seemed all set to get the X, but I told her to look into the fascinate too because of its gorgeous screen. So what I'm asking is which phone would you guys suggest as being better overall and why.

Another thing thats really important to her is how rootable the phone is, and what kind of development it has behind it. She's seen all the cool stuff I can do with my OG Droid and custom roms and wants to be able to do all that stuff (or have me do it) to her phone too. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

When I was shopping for my phone, I was comparing the Droid X, Droid 2 and the Fascinate. I dont text much, and my previous "smartphone" was an iPod Touch (G1), I was already used to the soft-keyboard, so the 2's main advantage didn't apply, so I was left with the F and the X, and played with both in the store.

Running stock, the Fascinate seemed a bit faster, but the X has a larger screen. for soft-keyboard use as well as for video, that was more of an importance to me. Personally, I didn't really notice much in screen difference.
For testing the screens, I visited a demo site of mine MP4 Streaming Server (it has some HQ trailers on it, ready for streaming for different devices) on both using the store's wifi, and actually liked the screen on the X a bit more, due to the higher resolution and a little less bright. (for the X pick the Droid catagory, for the Fascinate, select the Nexus one).
Besides that, While common for phones since the iPhone first came out, I really don't like the large areas at top and bottom of the screen. The smaller border around the screen gives the X a more professional look.

Of course it all based on personal preference, but those were the points that directed me towards the X.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
My GPS on the Fascinate seems ok. It was slow when using turn by turn, but for all other apps that used it--it seems normal. Either way, they are suppose to release an update THIS month to fix this and the low signal strength.

If you read some of the blogs this morning, they are saying Samsung phones will be the first to get 2.3 . The Fascinate may still be on 2.1 (which honestly, doesn't bother me at this point--Flash is sort of overrated), but they may be going straight to 2.3 (or have 2.2 for only a short time before they upgrade again).

All in all, the Screen size is perfect I think. Love this phone. I am sure the DROID X is nice, so it really comes down to a few minor differences. MY Fascinate is super smooth, not buggy, or laggy in any way (outside of the two issues mentioned above which I barely notice).