Samsung Fascinate or Thunderbolt

Newt86

Reaction score
Keep in mind it's for my GF, and we can get the fascinate for 90$.

Shes messed around with the Samsung at the store and really likes the screen on it and the size. Show'd her some reviews of the Thunderbolt and she instantly wanted one.

Shes never had a smartphone before and really just needs to put in dates on the calendar and have alerts for them so she can stay on schedule. She also needs to be able to check her companies email. (she got promoted)

So what do you think get the fascinate for 90$ if it will do the job. Or go for the thunderbolt and have it for a longer lifespan.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's for my GF, and we can get the fascinate for 90$.

Shes messed around with the Samsung at the store and really likes the screen on it and the size. Show'd her some reviews of the Thunderbolt and she instantly wanted one.

Shes never had a smartphone before and really just needs to put in dates on the calendar and have alerts for them so she can stay on schedule. She also needs to be able to check her companies email. (she got promoted)

So what do you think get the fascinate for 90$ if it will do the job. Or go for the thunderbolt and have it for a longer lifespan.

I've been married for 45 years. Get her the Thunderbolt. I promise you she will not be impressed that the Fascinate was cheaper. :)

Crusoe

Reaction score
Thunderbolt vs Fascinate

My wife has a fascinate and I have BB Tour. Looking to update to either fascinate or the new thunderbolt. Any suggestions, anyone?

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
My wife has a fascinate and I have BB Tour. Looking to update to either fascinate or the new thunderbolt. Any suggestions, anyone?
If your in a 4g area its a no brainer. Otherwise I would wait for the bionic and dual core, I wouldnt get a phone that came out last year.

npro1464

Reaction score
This isn't even a matter to debate: get her the Thunderbolt. It has 4g and is more powerful and more sophisticated. Samsung has been really irresponsible in keeping its phones updated, whereas HTC has been quite the opposite. Also, IIFC the Fascinate comes preloaded with Bing search, and you can't download Google search unless you root the phone (or navigate to the Google.com website). That's just the icing on the cake, for me at least.

If she wants a smaller phone, get her the Incredible (also made by HTC). You might also want to take a look at the Droid 2 and Droid X. There's always the iPhone also. But the Thunderbolt is by far the latest and greatest Verizon phone out there. I always think about smart phones that it's never best to go cheap. If a phone is listed for under $150-200, then it is probably a bad phone, unpopular or severely outdated.

Last edited:

Crusoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've been a blackberry user for years but have problems reading the small screen. I guess I must be aging. Thanks again.

Crusoe :)

techguru

Reaction score
I agree Thunderbolt is the way to go except for one major advantage the Fascinate has that needs to be considered. The Fascinate has the best screen for viewing in bright sunlight of any Android phone out today. The Thunderbolt is almost impossible to see in bright sunlight. I expected it to be better than the Incredible, which is horrible in the sun, but I can't see any difference between the two.

Other than that however, Tbolt wins on every count. Even in 3G, it renders web pages so fast you would swear it was on 4G. Only times 3G feels slower is if you are downloading large files. It even streams video better than the DINC or the DroidX on 3G. HTC did some major speed optimization on this bad boy.

Alan

Crusoe

Reaction score
I think I will wait several weeks before I buy either. Do they make a skin for the screen on the thunderbolt that will help on the glare?

wil318466

Reaction score
She also needs to be able to check her companies email. (she got promoted)

Thinly veiled brag. Heh only kidding.

The Fascinate is actually a great phonel, but it absolutely must be rooted.