Samsung Blocked From Selling Exynos Chips To Other Manufacturers By Qualcomm

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
exynos-9-image-01-100711310-small.3x2.jpg

Samsung won't be selling their own Exynos chips to other manufacturers for the next 25 years according to a new report. This is due to Qualcomm quickly putting their foot down when Samsung attempted to market their chips built specifically for Samsung devices to other manufacturers. Qualcomm felt like this would be an abuse of the "standard essential patent" license and used that to block sales of the Exynos to other manufacturers.

As you know Samsung is producing the Snapdragon 835 for Qualcomm this year and has first dibs on the first batch of the processors which they have apparently bought up and kept out of the hands of companies like HTC and LG. It would have been nice for Samsung to have been able to sell the latest Exynos to those companies, but Qualcomm knows that Samsung would eat into their market share with a slightly better processor. How would you feel about an Exynos processor in the LG G6?

via Phandroid

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
I've heard that phones with Exynos processors are much easier to root.:p

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I've heard that phones with Exynos processors are much easier to root.:p
May be True for Newer Exynos SoC but the Note 2 (SGH-i605) has a Exynos 4412 and once KK came out for it Root was no longer possible for it. I remember when i had JB on it and Rooted and then I had to do a Warranty replacement and the Replacement came back with KK. I was not happy and Never saw Root again.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How is that not monopolistic practices from Qualcomm? Also, how is it even possible to block other companies from using other SoCs?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's because samsung is building their chips. If you are building someone's product and release your own to compete with your customer, it's conflict of interest.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Qualcomm, everyone knows that it aint cool to be a "Proc Blocker". Competition breeds innovation.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
May be True for Newer Exynos SoC but the Note 2 (SGH-i605) has a Exynos 4412 and once KK came out for it Root was no longer possible for it. I remember when i had JB on it and Rooted and then I had to do a Warranty replacement and the Replacement came back with KK. I was not happy and Never saw Root again.

Verizon & AT&T are notorious for locking down their phones. The newer Exynos is easy to root.:p