Samsung is Prepping Two 64-Bit Exynos Processors for CES 2014

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

The latest intel from the Samsung camp suggests that the Korean manufacturer is tired of Qualcomm's dominance in the mobile chipset market. According to reports, Samsung has shipped far more Qualcomm versions of their devices than Exynos versions. That might change in 2014 however. Samsung just released an invite for January 7th at CES in 2014, which will supposedly debut their new Exynos line of mobile chipsets. Although their press invite doesn't reveal this, some additional intel suggests Sammy will unveil two Exynos chips at the press event. Here's a quote with the rumored specs of these chips,

Of course, more than likely we will see one or more of these chips show up in the Galaxy S5 and perhaps the Galaxy Note 4. We will keep you apprised during the press event.

Source: UnWiredView

• Like Like x 1
  2. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +300
    C'mon Note 4!!! Don't make me regret not getting the Note 3!

3. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    1.53x faster !!! Wow :icon_eek:.

So instead of it taking .5 seconds to open my browser it will take .3 seconds. Sweet.

My point: making it faster doesn't make it better. What are the real world benefits of a processor 1.53x faster? Or even 5 times faster for that matter, when we are speaking in milliseconds?

4. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    Gonna maybe work with LTE this time?!

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    I think the processor has a lot to do with response time, but accessing the internet (on LTE or wifi) is definitely noticeably slower on mobile than on my laptop.

And I love widgets, so my homescreen set-up is very ram intensive. And I think more and more apps will take advantage to the voice commands/always-listening, which is going to start chewing up a lot more ram.

6. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Yes, supposedly that is the primary focus for Sammy this time.

7. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    Yes, so all your points are to RAM, but not necessarily CPU. My Moto X opens any webpage I through at it blazingly fast OR maybe it's just loads faster than my Gnex, but not necessarily blazing. However, it does so with minimal CPU specs, and 2 Gigs of Ram, instead of the Gnex's 1 Gig.

I wish they would focus on battery life, and user experience, instead of CPU's that heat up quickly, and drain the battery quicker.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Yeah, I really don't know what my "ideal" specs are. Been hoping to hold out for a ultra-portable "laptop" in a phone (one that could at least dual-boot Windows, if not something more convenient), but appears we may yet be 2-3 years away. A lower powered CPU with 3-4gigs of ram is probably better for my usage habits.

Think I'll hold on to my Rezound for another 6-12 months until I have a better sense of what VZW is going to do with unlimited and what VoLTE means to existing phones/plans. I'd hate to pay full retail the more practical option is a new plan with a subsidized phone.

9. hotice

hotice Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Not enough information

They told us what doesn't matter, it has the same "eight" core design that the old octacore had - which was not better than the Snapdragons in performance or battery life. They didn't say if they improved to 28nm or are they still on a 32nm die size? Qualcomm should have a 20nm Snapdragon 805 out 1st quarter of 2014. That means it will use less power. That's something I care about. It's 64bit but that doesn't matter except for marketing which may matter. Ironically the iPhone has a 64bit processor but Apple has only recently started giving their phones 1GB of RAM. It will be a while before they break the 4GB barrier which will make the 64bit processor actually needed. The Galaxy Note series is much closer to that "need" at 3GB already and countless Android devices have 2GB of RAM.

I also wonder what it's faster at...graphics, floating point, integer? As others have said I'm not sure it will be a noticeable improvement over the Snapdragon 800.

Search tags for this page

64 bit exynos processor

arm cortex a57 die size

exynos 5 die size

exynos 6 chip specs

prepping 2014