Safe to give out MEID #?

Jamar

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Inc. and I'm selling my Droid on Craiglist and a potential buyer wants to know my phone's MEID #. Is that number safe to provide someone?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's the only way he can verify that your phone isnt stolen or deactivated. I wouldnt post it on the internet, but giving it to one person shouldnt hurt.

OP
J

Jamar

Reaction score
I figured that was the case. Can the buyer do anything with this number other than check if the phone's stolen? I assume even though my phone number's no longer attached to my Droid, anything that has to do with its MEID number only affects the physical phone and not my information, right?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, he might be able to get the phone blacklisted, but he would need to know your personal information and everything Verizon had on you when that phone was tied to your number.

OP
J

Jamar

Reaction score
Ok, that puts me at ease. Thanks for your help!

OP
J

Jamar

Reaction score
Actually... one more question. What's the difference between the MEID DEC and the MEID Hex?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually... one more question. What's the difference between the MEID DEC and the MEID Hex?

Dont quote me on this, but I think one is decimal (base 10), and the other is hexadecimal (base 16). One is easier for humans to process, the other is easier for computer systems to process.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
I sold mine and my wife's LG Dare's on Ebay and did not have to give out the MEID.
If you don't have much ebay feedback it can be difficult to sell items. I have enough that I didnt have a problem.

My friend has sold a couple of phones on craigslist to local buyers and bought a couple from local sellers. He always meets the other party at the store so the phone can be activated while the buyer and seller are there and money can exchange hands then.

My experience is there are a lot of scams on craigslist. I just tried to sell a piece of furniture, local pickup only and got an email from a guys "is it available?" replied that it was and I got this:
"Hi,
I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 5 - 7 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Money Order or cashier check is the means I can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mail out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.
Thanks"

I told him where to go. :)

ObsidianGT

Reaction score
I sold mine and my wife's LG Dare's on Ebay and did not have to give out the MEID.
If you don't have much ebay feedback it can be difficult to sell items. I have enough that I didnt have a problem.

My friend has sold a couple of phones on craigslist to local buyers and bought a couple from local sellers. He always meets the other party at the store so the phone can be activated while the buyer and seller are there and money can exchange hands then.

My experience is there are a lot of scams on craigslist. I just tried to sell a piece of furniture, local pickup only and got an email from a guys "is it available?" replied that it was and I got this:
"Hi,
I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 5 - 7 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Money Order or cashier check is the means I can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mail out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.
Thanks"

This happened to me, also. I thought it was a scam, too. Beware, folks!

caseyc

Reaction score

"Hi,
Awaiting your info.
Thanks"

This happened to me, also. I thought it was a scam, too. Beware, folks!

Ive had tons of those emails plus the ones where they want me to cash a big check and give them money back lol gotta hate those darn scammers