S3 problem, no data connection when leaving wifi

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
So I've done a google search and have found other users having this problem but no solutions or even possible solutions. Intermittently, when leaving a wifi connection (my home or office) I completely lose all data connection. The "signal" bars still show 4 full bars, but there is no 3g or 4g connection. I have tried, disabling the wifi, I have tried disabling and re-enabling the data network, I have tried opening other apps that use data and get "waiting for connection" or "no connection found". The only thing I have found that fixes it is a complete reboot. What is even more annoying, it doesn't always happen, or only happen with certain networks. It just seems to happen when I need it the most, like when I am about to start a run, or get directions!

Any suggestions?

thinman72069

Reaction score
I have no suggestions, but the same thing was happening to me. But for whatever reason it eventually started to behave. But I sympathize with you. Like your experience, it seemed to be only at the worst time possible when it would happen.
I've had my SIII for 3 weeks and it has been pretty good for while now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Droid Forums

JFrawls

Reaction score
I've experienced the same drop in data without the ability to recover... happened to me yesterday on the ride home from work while listening to Pandora. The signal went out and music stopped, hard to trouble shott on a motorcycle though. Once I got home it connected to the wifi and started playing again... annoyes crap out of me.

Sry to just post emphathy and shared experience, but I haven't found anything shown to fix this either

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
There's an idea, i'll give that a try next time and let you guys know!

OP
C

CrazyDymond88

Reaction score
Okay so it works!! I went out to my car this morning and lo and behold pandora just sat "Waiting for coverage". I switched on airplane mode, waited, switched it off, waited and it connected to 4g! Still annoying, but not as frustrating as having to reboot. Thanks for the solution!!

molanjames

Reaction score
So I've done a google search and have found other users having this problem but no solutions or even possible solutions.
Any suggestions?

Samsung has always been aware that customer satisfaction largely depends on customer support. Samsung created their Smart Care Diagnostics application to help their users troubleshoot and solve any issues with their Samsung mobile devices.By using this app you will have instant access to all the helpful tutorials and information that you will need to maximize your product experience.

Largamelion

Reaction score
I have registered because I have the exact same problem as the op.

It started about a month ago shortly after I installed a custom rom for my Desire HD (IceColdSandwich 8.8 - Android 4.0.4). As I was pretty sure it was a rom issue, I tried ignoring it and used the airplane mode workaround. Unfortunately, I have now flashed a different rom (Jellytime R29 - Android 4.1.2) and the issue remains. This makes me think an app is causing it.

To make sure, I made a backup of my rom and will do a factory reset tonight before I go to bed. I will only add my WIFI network and install no apps. Tomorrow when I leave home I will check if it automatically connects to 3G/H/E.

I really want to get to the bottom of this so if anyone can provide additional information, please do.

Also found this app which was created exactly for our problem, so it seems many people have this issue.

Largamelion

Reaction score
Well bad news ... it happens on a clean install of the rom. This basically means that it 's above my head and I won't be able to figure it out myself. I will provide a logfile to the dev of the rom and hope he will find a solution.