Rumours: S8 & S8+ AND Note 8 getting their just deserts soon

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Android-Hidden-features-640x360.png

As we reported here last month, Samsung started to roll out the Oreo update for the S8 and S8+. Phones that received this update started exhibiting problems of spontaneous reboots. Samsung promptly stopped rolling it out, to fix the problem. We've heard little since. At the end of last week, Samsung started rolling out Oreo for the S8... in GERMANY (Cnet.com).
So there is hope it should be hitting US carriers soon, right? Right?
Let's hope, because the rumor right behind this one that several sites are reporting: the Note 8 has passed Google certification. This means it's 'a go' to push out to carriers in the US. Could the Note 8 update get released before the S8?
A cool tidbit I found while researching this story: the folks over at XDA have a copy of the update and several Note 8 owners have side loaded it successfully. Links below.

Note 8 rumor: Slashgear
Side load O: xda
Pic: Fossbytes

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Being on Verizon, I'm expecting to be dead last. See ya in May, Oreo.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
I have just had a notification that Oreo is available to download to my Galaxy S8+. I'm a little nervous. Does anyone have a pros and cons about Ore o

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Assuming they fixed the bug they had I'd go for. It's not a huge update feature wise but and it's been Rock solid on my Moto.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
Individual text tones for each contact was eliminated with the Oreo update Who knows if they will bring it back.

I don't use it but I know many others do and are upset about it.

Just an FYI

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Actually there is a bug in 8, since fixed in 8.1, that annoys me. If you keep music on your phone, and Bluetooth it to your car or other device that supports displaying info AND you use an app that ISN'T made by Google, see attached.
Play Music works fine. No other 3rd party app does. Some headunits are unaffected.
This has to do with avrcp versions and dropping support for 1.4 that many cars still need. I don't completely understand all that but as Google fixed this in 8.1 it's obviously a mistake.
48088980b5a87a9185065abc79c89e7c.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
Individual text tones for each contact was eliminated with the Oreo update Who knows if they will bring it back.

Just an FYI

Thanks for this article.
I have no lag and battery life has been as good as on Nougat (Oreo Beta battery life was not as good as Nougat).
I cleared cache partition and that helped alot

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller

Just an FYI

This drives me nuts!!!! I use that feature for a lot of contacts. I'm not happy it's gone!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Hmm, I have downloaded Oreo to my S8 and I'm not not impressed. I will hang fire on downloading it to my S8+ for a few days until I am more familiar with how the S8 performs with it.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I got Oreo on my S8+ and I've only noticed improvements. No issues at all, the phone feels snappier, you can now use Google's GIF keyboard and bitmojis in the messaging app, Google assistant works when screen is off, better emojis that actually resemble what other Android and iPhones see, aaand I think there are a few other things that I'm not thinking of.

Battery is just as awful as it was in Nougat, no change. So I see no reason not to update.