[Rumor] Sony Working on Their Own Android Camera-Phone with Interchangeable Lenses

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-s1-i1-cybershot-camera-phone.png

It looks as if Sony might be working on their own competitor to Samsung's new Android camera-phone. If this rumor is true, Sony will be soon announcing a device called the Sony i1 or maybe the Sony S1. The most intriguing thing about this camera-phone hybrid device is that it will feature a 1/2.3 inch Exmor sensor which is exactly the same size as the Cybershot compact cameras. Additionally, the lenses on it will be interchangeable. The pic above is a rendering and is not a leak of the final device at all, but it could be a decent approximation. Here are the rest of the leaked specs of this device,
  • 5.0-inch 1920×1080 Triluminos, OptiContrast, X-Reality Engine, 2000:1 + Contrast Ratio
  • Snapdragon MSM8974 2.3 ghz, Adreno 330
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 32 GB Internal, microSD expansion
  • 2/3″ 20/13 MP Exmor RS camera with Sony G lens, Cybershot Camera UI, Camera shutter key, Interchangeable lenses
  • Xenon + Dual LED Flash, Mobile BIONZ Image processing
  • NFC, One Touch Sharing, WIFI Miracast
  • BlueTooth 4.0
  • S-Master MX Mobile Audio Amplifier
  • 1080p Exmor R front camera 2.2 Megapixel
  • Dual Stereo speakers
  • Android 4.2.2, new Xperia UI
  • 4G LTE
  • Tough Shatter proof Glass on front ( Tougher than Xperia Z Dragontrail glass)
  • 3000mAh battery, new improved STAMINA mode
  • Glass + Metal/Carbon Fiber body
  • IP 55/58 dust, water resistance, shock resistance. No flap on audio jack
  • IR Remote
According to the intel, Sony may officially unveil this device June 27th, so there are only a few days before we might see something concrete.

Thanks for the tip, combatmedic870!

Source: (SR2) Will the new Sony i1 phone use interchangeable lenses? | sonyalpharumors

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I dont care for the whole interchangable lens idea, but a phone with a 1/2.3" sensor and fixed G lens would be sweet!
All of the specs seem pretty sweet as well!

Qualcomm seems to be talking over the phone market. Ever since the S4 they have been ahead. Tegra is nowhere to be seen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the direction, and the rest of the specs are top of the line. But I also agree that interchangeable lenses probably misses the mark - if you care that much, you probably aren't taking pictures with anything less than a DSLR.

Just figure out a way to pair the better aperture with a telescoping lense and you have something. I'm not talking DSLR, just something that rivals the good compact/point-n-shoots.