[Rumor] Refresh of HTC One Coming with Octa-core Processor, 3GB RAM & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-One-octa-core-3-GB-of-RAM.jpg

A new report from a Greek tech site brings an intriguing rumor. Supposedly HTC is already working on a refreshed version of their flagship the HTC One and the new specs will be very impressive. There are several big upgrades which the improved version of the HTC One will have so here's a quick breakdown of the change-ups:
  • New octa-core processor of unspecified origins
  • 3GB RAM
  • "Clear Audio" feature for clearer calls
  • Multiple radios for nearly all global carriers across America, Asia and Europe
  • Gorilla Glass 3 (vs. Gorilla Glass 2)
As you can see above, this "leak" even comes with a screenshot indicating that HTC already has the device humming along somewhere in the development process. Of course, this could simply be a fake too. It's hard to fathom where HTC would get an octa-core processor. On the other hand, we wouldn't put it past HTC to do this. They are notorious for bringing out refreshed versions of their devices. The HTC One X+ comes to mind as the most recent example. What do you guys think? Real or fake?

Source: TechCommunity.gr

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If true, that means:

January 2014: HTC One-2 announced
April 2014: One-2 released by AT&T, Tmo
July 2014: VZW customers nearly go insane wondering, "WHEN WILL WE GE IT?!?!??!"
September 2014: VZW announces, "One-2 available winter 2014"
December 2014: VZW releases One-2, nobody notices because VZW is hyping 6 other phones

-Matt

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it is real, it will not be a US based phone, there is a reason that most companies are going with the snapdragon core because it is LTE-A friendly ... well LTE friendly for that matter. It's known that the Octa-core phones have been having LTE issues and that's the main reason that they aren't being introduced in areas with major LTE rollout.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it is real, it will not be a US based phone, there is a reason that most companies are going with the snapdragon core because it is LTE-A friendly ... well LTE friendly for that matter. It's known that the Octa-core phones have been having LTE issues and that's the main reason that they aren't being introduced in areas with major LTE rollout.

Sadly, you are dead-on with this assessment New2u. I thought the same thing when I found this story. Unless they have come up with a custom chip we don't know about yet, I don't see how the LTE issues will be addressed. Of course, this is just a rumor, so it may be bogus in the long run.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think my next comment can be shot down with a spit-wad at twenty paces, but *sigh*...nevertheless:

Based on my experience with the Nexus 7 FHD (Snapdragon S4 Quad @ 1.5GHz) I really have no complaints. The tablet does everything I ask it to, promptly and efficiently. Admittedly, I'm not the type who games for hours or otherwise pushes the CPU to the limit, but for me an octo-core device would only add one relatively short-lived benefit, that is, bragging rights aka "first kid on the block." Heck, I'd probably be the "first kid in the lower half of the state"!

-Matt