[Rumor] Asus Planning to Launch Affordable ($99-149) Smartwatch This Fall

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus_white-logo.jpeg

According to the latest intel out of Taiwan, Asus is planning to fire a direct shot over the bows of the other Android Wear smartwatch competitors, LG, Motorola and Samsung. Supposedly, they plan to offer a new Android Wear smartwatch in the Fall of this year, but at a highly competitive price, between $99 and $149. This would be a significant discount compared to the Samsung Gear Live at just $200 and the LG G Watch at $225.

Of course, it's also worth noting that by that timeframe rolls around, we might see price drops from these manufacturers as the competition heats up and more devices start flooding the market. The only detail shared regarding Asus' smartwatch offering was that it would include an AMOLED screen, just like the Samsung device, and possible movement and voice controls.

What do you think of Asus' chances of breaking big into this emerging market? The only thing left now is to find out what HTC has cooking.

Source: TechCrunch

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is the one range of devices where I don't think cheaper is better. The people buying these devices are going to want a quality product. The OS and speed I think will be similar across the board but the actual physical quality is what I want. Its why the Moto 360 is so attractive to me. It looks like they went to design a beautiful device you wear on your arm AND a good interface. Samsung's and LG's watches look cheap. Its like when I was 12 and absolutely loved my calculator watch. But now I want form and function, not just function. If Asus can pull form and function for a better price, good on them but I'll believe it when I see it. The Moto G and E phones are good phones but they don't compare in build quality to devices like the HTC M8 and LG phones.