Rooting?

krazzyjman

Reaction score
I am considering rooting my droid x, but first I have some questions about rooting.
First off, how likely am I to brick my phone? I really don't want to brick it because I will not be able to replace it.
Second, what is the most reliable way to go about rooting my phone?
Third, what advantages does rooting my phone give me?

Thanks

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
Not meaning to be rude but you should just start reading you will be able to find all you ask....if you find answers on your own you will be able to fix what ever you may mess up

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
I was looking through the forums and I didn't see anything that explained exactly what advantages I get from rooting

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I am considering rooting my droid x, but first I have some questions about rooting.
First off, how likely am I to brick my phone? I really don't want to brick it because I will not be able to replace it.
Second, what is the most reliable way to go about rooting my phone?
Third, what advantages does rooting my phone give me?

Thanks

1. not likely at all. either it will work or not work

2. easiest way is via z4root, though i have seen here and there that it is no longer working. just google z4root.apk as it is no longer available in the market. personally, i would recommend doing it manually, as it will give you a chance to start getting used to adb (which you will need at some point depending on how much modding you plan on doing)

3. among other things rooting lets you get free wireless tethering, access to system apps (removing the preinstalled bloatware), custom roms and themes, making backups, and the ability to take screenshots

good luck and make sure to follow instructions carefully

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

Last edited:
OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot. Is that link a guide to instructions? And if I do out myself and mess something up am I bricked, our can I restore?

Reaction score
that article was more in line with the why should i root and what could happen, there are manual instructions here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-rooted-help/74579-how-root-droid-2-a.html#post772019

don't mind that is says droid 2, this works for the x. i don't think you can break your phone with this as you are just pushing a couple files to the phone, but as always, this is an at your own risk operation. if you're really nervous, just grab z4root. one button press to root and one to unroot, if need be.

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
What is the difference between the manual and the one click root?

nakhleh926

Reaction score
What is the difference between the manual and the one click root?

I honestly don't think there is one, but if there is it's really minor and probably does nothing, as someone who commented above me stated manual is just a plus if you feel like learning instead of just rooting.

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Ok, and with the one click, do I download it from my phone, or on my computer then move to phone?

en28so

Reaction score
Ok, and with the one click, do I download it from my phone, or on my computer then move to phone?
download it straight to your phone, but for z4root to work you need to do the following steps: applications settings(put a check mark next to unknown sources). Then go down to developement(click on it and put a check mark next to usb debuging). Then download z4root and install it.

OP
krazzyjman

krazzyjman

Reaction score
Ok, and last question I think. After I root, do I have to download a rom right away? And what if the best rom to download?

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Ok, and last question I think. After I root, do I have to download a rom right away? And what if the best rom to download?

not at all, you don't even need one, it truly is better though, everyone keeps saying preference on the best one, I'd suggest trying them all eventually but for now something blurless imo, get the most out of your phone.