Rooting Newb

SupaDave

Reaction score
I am sorry for making another post for this question. I have been researching but haven't seem to find one persons topic that shows how to root the X from start to finish in the easiest way and include and explain each app needed along the process(a step by step explanation). At this point as I am mainly looking for using the X rooted for wifi tethering and for screenshots. All the other reasons for a rooted phone will come later for me. It seems from must that z4root is the way to go though. Also if someone could also explain how to unroot easily for insurance purposes. I currently have the newet update installed......any and all help would be much appreciated.......oh and by the way this is my first post dancedroid.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No need to apologize, we're here to help! Z4root is very much the easiest way. For what you're wanting to do, that's all you'll need. Though I WOULD recommend the DX Bootstrapper to make a backup as well. Z4 has an unroot option once you've used it to root. Rooted or unrooted doesn't really matter as far as insurance goes though.
Welcome.....to DroidForums! :)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
No need to apologize, we're here to help! Z4root is very much the easiest way. For what you're wanting to do, that's all you'll need. Though I WOULD recommend the DX Bootstrapper to make a backup as well. Z4 has an unroot option once you've used it to root. Rooted or unrooted doesn't really matter as far as insurance goes though.
Welcome.....to DroidForums! :)

DroidForums junkie!!
Thanks......I currently have Astro...is that not good enough? or should I get bootstrapper after I install z4? And what of this superuser (App)?..... what steps exactly do I take?......I am new to all this and trying to learn again forgive me for all the questions.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Astro is a file manager, Bootstrapper is needed to get into the custom recovery that you'll need to make backups before flashing ROMs and such. Superuser is what gives root apps permission to operate.
No worries, if we don't ask, we don't know, you know? :)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
Astro is a file manager, Bootstrapper is needed to get into the custom recovery that you'll need to make backups before flashing ROMs and such. Superuser is what gives root apps permission to operate.
No worries, if we don't ask, we don't know, you know? :)

DroidForums junkie!!
Ok got that......but what I am looking for is for someone to tell me exactly what I need to do by a step by step bases. Including the root download, the apps needed andwhen, and what to do after I have those....and of course the what not to do.....lol.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
From your phone. Then open Astro and look in your downloads folder on your sd card. Touch it and select install.

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
Just registered.....but I dont see where I am suppose to download anything.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Its under "Donations"

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
It said download unsucessfull.......dont I have to have unkown source checked?????

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm...odd. want me to send it to you?

DroidForums junkie!!