Rooting HTC Thunderbolt

Sam S.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Thunderbolt
Just joined so please don't yell at me if this is the wrong place. Just point me to the right place. Thanks in advance.
I have a Thunderbolt and want to root it so I can get at hotspot feature. I don't have a clue on an easy way. Is there a one click app that will do it. Are there user groups in different cities that can help you out?
Thanks,
Sam

P

promo87

Just joined so please don't yell at me if this is the wrong place. Just point me to the right place. Thanks in advance.
I have a Thunderbolt and want to root it so I can get at hotspot feature. I don't have a clue on an easy way. Is there a one click app that will do it. Are there user groups in different cities that can help you out?
Thanks,
Sam

Well, thunderbolt hmm... haven't heard about it actually does it runs Android OS? I would say if it runs Android OS then hotspot can be activated by heading over to the
Settings>Wireless Networks>More Settings>Tethering and HotSpot. o_O I don't think there is any need to root device ! Well, anyway let me know I'll tell you about the .....

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, thunderbolt hmm... haven't heard about it actually does it runs Android OS? I would say if it runs Android OS then hotspot can be activated by heading over to the
Settings>Wireless Networks>More Settings>Tethering and HotSpot. o_O I don't think there is any need to root device ! Well, anyway let me know I'll tell you about the .....

The ThunderBolt was the first LTE device released on Verizon Wireless.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
The ThunderBolt was the first LTE device released on Verizon Wireless.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2
I am pretty sure that it was also one of the worst phones for the Devs too. I am not 100% sure. I seem to recall it being the Thunderbolt. I could be wrong.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Thanks,
Sam

My recollection was that the Thunderbolt was an extremely *difficult* phone to root. A friend of mine, who was quite knowledgeable had one hell of a time rooting her phone and the process she described sounded closer to an exorcism than a rooting procedure - so good luck on your quest.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it was also one of the worst phones for the Devs too. I am not 100% sure. I seem to recall it being the Thunderbolt. I could be wrong.

Either way, as expected, the Thunderbolt is no longer supported by development. It was definitely a well-built device, but like everything else, time eventually catches up.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't recall it being that hard to root, but again it's been a while since I did it. There for a while there was quite a few roms for it. BAMF what I ran most of the time.

Sent from Big Blue Country