Rooted X questions

mkthnx001

Reaction score
@bigd73: Yeah, "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" should fix the cross-device-related error.

I also posted how to copy them to /system/app with "Root Explorer (File Manager)".

Also, I helped him get back into the settings menu earlier in the thread.

He should be good to go. :p

EDIT:

It will result in an error if you don't have the system folder mounted. (I'm assuming that this is what you were referring to, if not please explain as I do not get an error on my phone.)

Yeah, just noticed you mentioned remounting the system partition in your instructions.

Also, @Twist0ffate: Yeah, forgot. Just remount the system partition with read/write permissions, than do: "mv *.apk /system/app/". OR, just do a search for the application on your phone.

Furthermore, the /system/app/ folder is not located in the sdcard.

Last edited:

bigd73

Reaction score
No problem, I enjoy tag teaming a problem! And if this works, by god let's have a Moderator sticky this thing!!!!

bigd73

Reaction score
Ok, 2 things...i cannot access root explorer since i still have no icons and i looked at the sd card and there is not a /system/app folder or anything close...:\

Do a search for root explorer on the phone, it should come up then.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
No problem, I enjoy tag teaming a problem!
downloading the systemapp.zip file right now

You don't need to do that. After you've moved the .apks to your sdcard (like you say you have), just mount the system partition as read/write, or use "Root Explorer (File Manager)" to move them to /system/app/.

Basically, reread the posts above.

OP
T

Twist0fate

Reaction score
Ok, here we go. I'm making this "How To" with the assumption that your computer skills are at the basic level. Please don't get offend if I give you step by step on the simple stuff. Anyway, here we go...

Assumptions:

1. You are using a computer with Windows XP/Vista/7.
2. You have the ability to install devices and software on this machine.
3. You accidentally deleted on of the required apps that allow the Droid X to function properly.
4. That your computer has the software that can extract Zip files.
5. That you have Java installed. If not you can get it here: Java files for Windows 32bit If you're running a 64 bit operating system, this file should still work.
Part 1. Installing ADB on your home computer.
6. You are registered at AllDroid. If not, go here and register All Droid Registration You will need this to download files that are required.

1. Click on this link to download the zip file for setting up ADB.
2. Save the file to your Desktop.
3. Once the file is completely downloaded, double click it and extract the Android SDK .Zip file to C:\AndroidSDK (this should name the new folder created AndroidSDK in the C directory.
4. On your phone, click Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is on.
5. Now we need to install the ADB driver. Here is the instructions I used.[QOUTE]Download the attached .ZIP and expand it somewhere you can find it (eg. c:\ADBDrivers_v3).
Plug your phone in via USB. Either Windows will install a few drivers and you won't get any prompts, or you'll be prompted for the location of the ADB driver (select the folder you expanded the files to earlier).
If you don't see any prompted, open device manager (Start Menu, right-click on My Computer, click Manage. In the window that comes up, scan the tree at the left, locate "Device Manager" and click on it.)
Look for a device with a yellow exclamation mark. Assuming you don't have other devices missing drivers or otherwise misconfigured, this should be your DX.
Right-click the DX and then click "Update Driver"
Click "Browse my computer ..."
Click "Let me pick from ..."
Click "Have Disk..."
Click "Browse..."
Browse to the folder you created in the begining (it should contain the folders amd64 and i386)
Click "Open"
Click "Ok"
From the list select "Android Composite ADB Interface"
Click "Next"
You might get a dialog saying "Installing this device driver is not recommended...". If so, click Yes (we know it's a valid driver from Google)
If all went well, you should see "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"[/QOUTE]
1. The zip file is here.
6. After you installs the drivers, go to the Start menu and type cmd into the search bar (Vista or higher) or click Run then type in cmd (XP) to open the command prompt. Or click on Start, All programs, Accessories, and click on "Command Prompt"
7. Type the following into the command prompt window (hitting enter at the end of every line):

cd\
cd android-sdk-windows\tools\
adb devices

Part 2. Copying the apps back over.
1. In the Command Prompt window, type (hitting enter at the end of every command):

adb shell
su

2. *DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT WINDOW* You should now see a # sign. If you do, go to step 3. If not, your phone is probably not rooted. If that's the case, let's do Mr. 1 Click C++ root. Directions are located here. Type su in the Command Prompt window after rooting again.
3. Ok now that you're rooted. We're going to need those app files to copy back over to your phone. Here is the link for that zip file.
4. Extract this zip file to this folder "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools".
5. Ok, let's mount the system folder on your Droid X. In the Command Prompt window, type (hitting enter at the end of every command):

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

6. It should go back to the # prompt again. Now we're going to copy all the apps back over by typing this command in the Command Prompt window(hitting enter at the end of the command):

cp *.apk /system/app

7. If it ask if you want to replace or over write a file, tell it yes by hitting y and then enter. Once all the files are copied over, type this command and hit enter:

reboot

8. Unplug your phone and keep your fingers crossed!!

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
where in this comand are the breaks

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Breaks? Do you mean spaces? Here:
Code:
mount<space>-o<space>remount,rw<space>-t<space>yaffs2<space>/dev/block/mtdblock3<space>/system

OP
T

Twist0fate

Reaction score
Code:
mount<space>-o<space>remount,rw<space>-t<space>yaffs2<space>/dev/block/mtdblock3<space>/system

Ok i passed that and it came up with another # symbol now im on to 6. It should go back to the # prompt again. Now we're going to copy all the apps back over by typing this command in the Command Prompt window(hitting enter at the end of the command):

cp *.apk /system/app

i typed in cp *.apk /system/app and recieved no such file or directory

bigd73

Reaction score
Code:

Ok i passed that and it came up with another # symbol now im on to 6. It should go back to the # prompt again. Now we're going to copy all the apps back over by typing this command in the Command Prompt window(hitting enter at the end of the command):

cp *.apk /system/app

Which method are you going to use to copy the files, adb shell or root Manager?

OP
T

Twist0fate

Reaction score
Code:

cp *.apk /system/app

ADB shell as i cannot access root manager on my phone

bigd73

Reaction score

cp *.apk /system/app

ADB shell as i cannot access root manager on my phone

Did you try searching for the Root Manager on the phone?

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Like I said above, try:
Code:
cp /sdcard/*.apk /system/app/

You were probably not in the /sdcard/ directory.

EDIT:@bigd73: He might be confused because in your instructions it never says to copy the .apk files to the sdcard.

Last edited: