Rooted and tethering

vvildcard

Reaction score
I'm not sure what specifically Verizon Blocked with their Droid X 2.3.3 GB update or with the X2 2.2.2 "Froyobread" (I call it that because it claims it's Froyo but acts very similar to GB and has the same tethering block and setup as GB along but with an added app shortcut in the drawer) but I believe that they've programmed it to interrupt all non-authorized attempts at broadcasting a wifi network on the "192.x.x.x" and "172.x.x.x" network ranges. However, the "10.x.x.x" range may have been left untouched due to it being a popular range used for VPN tunneling, a feature built into the phone.

Umm... you're the only one reporting this problem... I've had no trouble running a tether over 192.x.x.x, so I'm pretty sure there's no block. I suspect your issue is centered on the PC, not the phone.

Talk like this is just going to spread false rumors.

Haiasi

Reaction score
I'm not sure what specifically Verizon Blocked with their Droid X 2.3.3 GB update or with the X2 2.2.2 "Froyobread" (I call it that because it claims it's Froyo but acts very similar to GB and has the same tethering block and setup as GB along but with an added app shortcut in the drawer) but I believe that they've programmed it to interrupt all non-authorized attempts at broadcasting a wifi network on the "192.x.x.x" and "172.x.x.x" network ranges. However, the "10.x.x.x" range may have been left untouched due to it being a popular range used for VPN tunneling, a feature built into the phone.

Umm... you're the only one reporting this problem... I've had no trouble running a tether over 192.x.x.x, so I'm pretty sure there's no block. I suspect your issue is centered on the PC, not the phone.

Talk like this is just going to spread false rumors.

I'm just sharing my experience and opinion based on that. I can tell you that on the X2, just like the X on GB without running the tether patch, I could NEVER get the wireless tethering to work on the "192.x.x.x" or "172.x.x.x" range. This was the same issue on a total of 5 unique devices (2 Xs and 3 X2s).

I also tried across 3 different computers in the house trying to connect, even disabling firewalls and setting up static IPs with no success.

Last edited:

vvildcard

Reaction score
This was the same issue on a total of 5 unique devices (2 Xs and 3 X2s).

All signs clearly point to a problem with your computer... it's the common factor in all your tests.

Question: Can you tether one droid to another? I'm willing to bet you can.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
Haiasi it must be a problem with your compe. I've worked on many droid x's and droid x's and i could get them all to wireless tether. I ran into one problem with my laptop with a messed up driver...once that was fixed it works like a charm.

arikara

Reaction score
Does anyone know do they still have to flash the TBH Patch when you have the 3.0 Exp and if so what are the steps for that? Do you have to put it in the wifi folder???? Sorta clueless at this point cause I still get the paywall from big red???

badbeat33

Reaction score
I've tried Barnacle and OP Wifi Tether and neither of these have worked on my computer. They show the DX2 as a computer to computer sharing network but the computer will not connect to it. I've set up a new name and password for the network but it will still not work. And I'm positive that the issue is not with my computer because my dad has a Thunderbolt and uses OP Wifi Tether and my computer has no problems whatsoever connecting to his hot spot.

Any suggestions??

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I've tried Barnacle and OP Wifi Tether and neither of these have worked on my computer. They show the DX2 as a computer to computer sharing network but the computer will not connect to it. I've set up a new name and password for the network but it will still not work. And I'm positive that the issue is not with my computer because my dad has a Thunderbolt and uses OP Wifi Tether and my computer has no problems whatsoever connecting to his hot spot.

Any suggestions??

Barnacle works, I use it once in a great while. So download Barnacle from the market. Open it, go to settings then put check marks in "Auto Associate, Access Control, and Local Mode if you want" Then in settings under Clients, click New Client Action, and check "Allow" Go back and start, you should be able to connect.

badbeat33

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it when I get home.