Rooted 2.1, getting OTA update message. Unroot or just update?

Dinc_User

Reaction score
i've got a Dinc i rooted via the unrevoked method. i am now getting verizon's OTA update message. i don't want to brick my phone or have any other significant issues. should i unroot my phone before attempting to install the update? if so, what is the easiest way to do it? what would happen if i were to just attempt to install the OTA update? any help is greatly appreciated!

g3p

Reaction score
Read the horror stories in this section (tech issues) and decide for yourself. Even if your have problems, you can always go back.

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
thank you for the reply. people are having some issues, and i'm going to wait a while to see how this shakes out, but if i do upgrade, do i have to restore to unrooted status first, or can i just take the update?

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
thanks. i've done a lot more reading, and i agree. however, as you pointed out, there are some potential issues with the upgrade. i think i going to hold off until these issues are ironed out. thanks again.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I honestly would go with Unrevoked Forever before doing the official upgrade. At least that way you can come back to rooted if you don't like what you see. Honestly, I'm seeing less problems with the people that were rooted doing manual upgrades (or sticking with ROM's) than those that took the official. If you haven't tried it, I honestly would recommend giving Skyraider 2.5.2 a try for a good Froyo ROM. I think you might like it.

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i'll take a look at Skyraider 2.5.2.

nerdkill

Reaction score
i'm trying to update a co-workers rooted dinc from eclair to froyo, what is the easiest most painless way? it's currently rooted using the regular unrevoked method a few months ago. help please thanks!

nerdkill

Reaction score
thanks... any suggestions on the best way to unroot? i've seen a few different ways, some super complex and some look simple. i just want it to be as painless as possible.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can get you unrooted and on stock 2.2 in one move. Need to sd formatted to fat32 first then flash the ruu through hboot.