Root help for newbie!!!

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am looking to root my Verizon s3 but have a few questions and concerns. I am looking at using the tool created by Noxious Ninja but do I have to unlock bootloader first or not? Ive seen an app (EZ Unlock) that unlocks the verizon bootloader but it states it requires root so I assume I root first and then unlock which is opposite of the Nexus.

The rooting process seems easy enough but adding roms confuses me a bit! Where do you get roms? Is a rom easy to uninstall if I want to go back to stock ui? Can my phoneeasily be unrooted if I have a warranty issue? Thanks, sorry for the newbie questions!

Reaction score
Yes you will need to be rooted before you use ez-unlock to unlock the bootloader. Installing roms is quite easy if you follow directions well and you can always find a guide through a quick google search on how to completely restore your phone to its original factory state (no root, rom, anything modded) Check this for a in depth guide to install a rom.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Do I need to unlock the boot loader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
yes, in order to install a jelly bean rom you will need to unlock it. But if you use a custom stock rom you just need to root.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I took the plunge and am now rooted!! Pretty easy process. Just need to learn more about roms and installation. Also wanna install Google wallet as well. Thanks for ur help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
no problem, to install google wallet you need to do a bunch of code editing. I havent gotten around to doing that yet, not sure if i will because i find swiping a card is just as easy as swiping a phone to pay for things

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
If I need to unroot the only method I've seen is odin. Will this work for me even though I didn't root with Odin?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

naknak95

Reaction score
Is there a way to root GS3 without wiping all my apps and data? Just basically run a command prompt and pushes flies without flashing into recovery??

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Droid Forums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13