Root help for droid razr 4.0.4

DroidX_46

Reaction score
I just bought a DROID RAZR running Android v.4.0.4. I just upgraded from my DROID X which is rooted with Liberty 3v2.0 & I would like to achieve a similar level of "customization" with my "new" DROID RAZR. I tried rooting by following the steps at theunlockr.com & that process was not successful. I would like if someone could provide me with the files or point me in the correct direction to get them, along with the step-by-step directions to successfully "ROOT" my DROID RAZR running ICS version 4.0.4.

I greatly appreciate any & all help!
Thank You,
DroidX_46

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I just bought a DROID RAZR running Android v.4.0.4. I just upgraded from my DROID X which is rooted with Liberty 3v2.0 & I would like to achieve a similar level of "customization" with my "new" DROID RAZR. I tried rooting by following the steps at theunlockr.com & that process was not successful. I would like if someone could provide me with the files or point me in the correct direction to get them, along with the step-by-step directions to successfully "ROOT" my DROID RAZR running ICS version 4.0.4.

I greatly appreciate any & all help!
Thank You,
DroidX_46
There are a couple of methods used but I recommend this one: Droid RAZR Utility 1.8. This utility is the great for restoring your phone back to stock, root, installing Safestrap and Voodoo RootKeeper. It is safe, easy and reliable. After you have downloaded the .zip file you MUST extract that file to its own folder. You cannot run the utility within the downloaded zip. After you have extracted the downloaded .zip, inside the .zip file are the up to date Moto drivers (16 bit and 32 bit). Install the drivers on your computer. Go to menu>settings>developers options>and select USB debugging. Power off your phone and boot into fastboot mode by holding down the power, volume up and volume down keys simultaneously. You will boot into a black screen with white lettering. Plug your phone into your computer using the USB cable that came with the phone. On your phone, page down to AP Fastboot with the volume down key and select by pressing the power key. When you plug your phone in give it a couple of seconds for your computer to recognize it and then pull down you notification bar and select anything but Mass Media. On your computer go to the folder that you extracted the utility to and double click the .bat file. This starts the utility. From the utility select option 2...root and follow the on screen instructions. Do not unplug your phone until you see "exploit a success". Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
DroidX_46

DroidX_46

Reaction score
Thank You jpcalhoun for your thoroughness. A couple of hours after my 'post' I was able to get my DROID RAZR 'rooted'. I do want to let you know that it is members like you who inspire enthusiasts like me and make it possible for us to truly customize our phones w/ a complete understanding of how we did it.
Thank You Again,
-DroidX_46

Also, I don't know what CUSTOM RECOVERY is recommended for the DROID RAZR or how to install it once I do know which one to DL. Instead of continuing my new problem on this thread I will start a new one. If you have the time and can possibly assist me with this issue I would greatly appreciate your help.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thank You jpcalhoun for your thoroughness. A couple of hours after my 'post' I was able to get my DROID RAZR 'rooted'. I do want to let you know that it is members like you who inspire enthusiasts like me and make it possible for us to truly customize our phones w/ a complete understanding of how we did it.
Thank You Again,
-DroidX_46

Also, I don't know what CUSTOM RECOVERY is recommended for the DROID RAZR or how to install it once I do know which one to DL. Instead of continuing my new problem on this thread I will start a new one. If you have the time and can possibly assist me with this issue I would greatly appreciate your help.

You're quite welcome. There are several custom recovery. I recommend ROM Manager. There's two versions... paid and free in the Play Store. The free version is all you need if a recovery is all you're looking for. Goo Manager is another good one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2