Root + Free Wifi hotspot is illegal

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just checked my wife's phone and the Mobile Hotspot is free...

Again, nowhere on the Terms and Conditions or Customer Agreement does it say rooting or tethering is a violation.

seriously? sure it does. Terms & Conditions

i've said it before and i'll say it again. what makes people think a multi-billion dollar corporation would have a loophole that big...why do people continue to think that VZW is a mom and pop organization?

no one here is going to uncover anything groundbreaking. Tethering violates your TOS, so does rooting...just accept it and then make the choice if you want to do it or not...

Dude, firstly chill out... I did not attack you or anyone else on here. Secondly, stop taking my post out of context and then adding words into my post. I never said Verizon was a "mom and pop shop" as you put it or that I had found out some new epiphany regarding Verizon's service. I am simply looking for factual information with actual quoted text from the Verizon site.

I've already read the Customer Agreement but you left out the part where I asked for a quote that shows WHERE it says anything about rooting or tether or indicates anything even remotely similar. The only thing that I could find in both the Terms and Services and Customer Agreement was this in the Customer Agreement:

"(d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications"

It does not say your device software, your OS, your anything but the device. Again, I'm asking here; Can someone please quote the Customer Agreement or Terms and Services where it says that this activity is a violation of your Customer Agreement/Terms and Services?

Finally, if the Verizon people are so against tethering and rooting, why doesn't Verizon train their Customer Service department to understand what this means and how to deal with the questions appropriately. The woman I talked to this evening basically read me the paragraph that contained the quoted text above from the Customer Agreement and stated that she could not find anything that was against what I was asking about. I also don't understand why they just don't change their TaS and CA with the exact terms "rooting and tethering".

Thanks in advance for any input that isn't inflammatory, out of context or just plain rude.

Ok i apologize. I guess I just find it weird that people would think that a company like Verizon wouldn't have a provision that disallows tethering. Anyway, I linked the agreement above, not sure if you read it or not but it clearly states:

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to tether laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect.

As for rooting, that's in Motorola's warranty:

Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage.

So moral of the story? You can root and tether all you want, but it is a violation of TOS and warranty, and if you get caught Verizon has every right to void your contract.

Hope that clears things up...

LaxzBro

Reaction score
From my understanding rooting voids warrantee but not TOS? And if im paying for unlimited data, why shouldn't I get it? I only tether to an itouch or phone to let my friends facetime

Lax bro, closet geek

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
From my understanding rooting voids warrantee but not TOS? And if im paying for unlimited data, why shouldn't I get it? I only tether to an itouch or phone to let my friends facetime

Lax bro, closet geek

Yep that sounds about right...

and about why you shouldn't get it, i agree with you...the problem is not you or I who tether very little...it's when people replace their ISP to tether...that's why VZW would want that provision in the TOS...because otherwise not only would their network degrade, but also they'd lose business in their home broadband sales...just protecting their assets, nothing wrong with that. Does it stop the people who are tethering? not at all, but it gives vzw an escape clause if they wanted to pursue it

CD95YJ

Reaction score
While the supreme court ruled jailbreaking is not illegal, altering your devise from manufacturer specifications is a violation of your TOS agreement. That includes rooting, and your TOS states tethering is a violation as well. Because you "voluntarily" signed your TOS agreement you stated you wouldn't do anything to violate it. Now legally there isn't anything bigred can do other than terminate your service if you are found to be in violation of the TOS.

Plain and simple be smart when tethering, don't use large amounts of data and you wont stand out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ntrddragn

Reaction score
JUST DO IT!! all the cool kids are. LOL

Besides who care if you violate the TOS and they terminate your contract.you can always switch to another carrier. There are way to many of these threads. I tether when im traveling and cant find a freaking free wifi spot. And every company has clauses to protect themselves from those who like to sue people for their own stupidity.

Do it! Do it! dancedroiddancedroid

Last edited:

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea I say they can get over it...if I pay 29.99 a month for the internet on my phone on top of the phone bill itself then I'm going to use it the way I want to just like I bout the phone I can do whatever to it ic fit just like if I go bye a new truck and they say well you cant do anything to it just gotta drive it and thats it sorry i bout it if I wanna risk bricking it or using MY Internet on it to run my xbox or laptop thats my choice not anyone else's sry they can get over it ROOT ROOT ROOT :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I say they can get over it...if I pay 29.99 a month for the internet on my phone on top of the phone bill itself then I'm going to use it the way I want to just like I bout the phone I can do whatever to it ic fit just like if I go bye a new truck and they say well you cant do anything to it just gotta drive it and thats it sorry i bout it if I wanna risk bricking it or using MY Internet on it to run my xbox or laptop thats my choice not anyone else's sry they can get over it ROOT ROOT ROOT :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

they don't care, trust me....they're the ones with the power, not you haha...if they want to drop you they can and will, and you'll be saying "they can get over it" all the way to another carrier.

i doubt they are enforcing any of this, the point is if they want to they can...what you say doesn't matter to them

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
You're not using anymore data connections than if you were just using your phone anyways.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
seriously? sure it does. Terms & Conditions

i've said it before and i'll say it again. what makes people think a multi-billion dollar corporation would have a loophole that big...why do people continue to think that VZW is a mom and pop organization?

no one here is going to uncover anything groundbreaking. Tethering violates your TOS, so does rooting...just accept it and then make the choice if you want to do it or not...

Dude, firstly chill out... I did not attack you or anyone else on here. Secondly, stop taking my post out of context and then adding words into my post. I never said Verizon was a "mom and pop shop" as you put it or that I had found out some new epiphany regarding Verizon's service. I am simply looking for factual information with actual quoted text from the Verizon site.

I've already read the Customer Agreement but you left out the part where I asked for a quote that shows WHERE it says anything about rooting or tether or indicates anything even remotely similar. The only thing that I could find in both the Terms and Services and Customer Agreement was this in the Customer Agreement:

"(d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications"

It does not say your device software, your OS, your anything but the device. Again, I'm asking here; Can someone please quote the Customer Agreement or Terms and Services where it says that this activity is a violation of your Customer Agreement/Terms and Services?

Finally, if the Verizon people are so against tethering and rooting, why doesn't Verizon train their Customer Service department to understand what this means and how to deal with the questions appropriately. The woman I talked to this evening basically read me the paragraph that contained the quoted text above from the Customer Agreement and stated that she could not find anything that was against what I was asking about. I also don't understand why they just don't change their TaS and CA with the exact terms "rooting and tethering".

Thanks in advance for any input that isn't inflammatory, out of context or just plain rude.

Ok i apologize. I guess I just find it weird that people would think that a company like Verizon wouldn't have a provision that disallows tethering. Anyway, I linked the agreement above, not sure if you read it or not but it clearly states:

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to tether laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect.

As for rooting, that's in Motorola's warranty:

Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage.

So moral of the story? You can root and tether all you want, but it is a violation of TOS and warranty, and if you get caught Verizon has every right to void your contract.

Hope that clears things up...

czerdrill, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

It helps but yet not. The link you gave me has a title of "VZ Email (including GlobalEmail)" and what does it mean when they are referring to "These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: ". Wireless Email? Are they referring to the dataplan.

They sure are not making this clear.

I think the Motorola quote is pretty clear.

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
Ok, I think the answer is here as well. Basically, when you subscribe to the Smartphone plan, your Customer Agreement becomes part of the Smartphone agreement or vice versa which states specifically about tethering as czerdrill stated. I think that clears it up for me. At this point, I simply won't tether out of principle because I don't want to lie to them which is essentially what I will be doing if I violate the "Terms". Lame but oh well...

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
Yeah its hard to make the case that root+tether is ok according to Verizon's official stance.

At the end of the day you are cheating them out of money

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah its hard to make the case that root+tether is ok according to Verizon's official stance.

At the end of the day you are cheating them out of money

Tethering definitely. Rooting not so much unless of course you brick your phone and try to return it (which happens). I think it's just a way for people to justify that what they're doing is fine even though they know they're not supposed to. Like I mentioned verizon doesn't care if you root. They do care when you try to play the system though. Same with tethering. Chances are they won't care if you do it rarely but it's ridiculous to argue that you have the right to when it clearly says you don't in the TOS...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Verizon should not sell devices that are able to tether if they don't allow tethering. Its like giving a kid the remote control and ask him not to watch TV.

I rooted my phone and i tether once a month on average. When i tether i am usually in a hotel that does not offer free wifi and have to use my laptop.
But when i tether i don't use my phone just my laptop, meaning i am paying for unlimited date package and i'm using just not directly on the phone but through the phone.

LaxzBro

Reaction score
Verizon should not sell devices that are able to tether if they don't allow tethering. Its like giving a kid the remote control and ask him not to watch TV.

I rooted my phone and i tether once a month on average. When i tether i am usually in a hotel that does not offer free wifi and have to use my laptop.
But when i tether i don't use my phone just my laptop, meaning i am paying for unlimited date package and i'm using just not directly on the phone but through the phone.
They sell them like that so they can use mobile hotspot

Lax bro, closet geek

bigmodem

Reaction score
I tether w/o rooting & bypass Verizon block using 3g app preinstalled.

turn on "3g mobile hotspot w/the check mark (preinstalled, no need to download a new hotspot app.) Find the connection on laptop wireless setup and try a webpage and get the Verizon block. Then proceed to the phone home page and tap on the phone dialer and type:
*#*#info#*#* the screen should default to the testing page. click on phone information, scroll to bottom, turn the radio off and back on. Laptop should now be able to bypass the Verizon block page until the next session

Last edited: