[ROM][JB 4.1.1]Unofficial AOKP for Droid 4

93fuelslut

Reaction score
is wifi tether just so a devise can use my network and not be charged by vzw for data?
cause foxfi does this

kenji91

Reaction score
is wifi tether just so a devise can use my network and not be charged by vzw for data?
cause foxfi does this

Tethering in this case means you're accessing the internet on a device via your phone's data service. I can tether via wifi (wireless) or USB (connected).

FoxFi is another app for this.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
well whats the deal with vzw?...iv heard that vzw can see if u wifi tether to much and can charge u data since there not gettin thier money..

kenji91

Reaction score
well whats the deal with vzw?...iv heard that vzw can see if u wifi tether to much and can charge u data since there not gettin thier money..

My understanding is that wifi tethering is NOT free, regardless of your data plan. I may be mistaken but I think USB tethering is ok but it uses your data. And if VZW sees you using too much data, they'll throttle you.

kwyrt

Reaction score
I have used the built in AOKP wifi tether to tether my Nook Color and it worked flawlessly. I do have foxfi installed but have not used it since the built in functionality worked. I wonder if having foxfi installed changed something allowing the built in tether functionality to work.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

montanye

Reaction score
I have a DROID 4 and my laptop can see the wireless but can't connect. I am running AOKP 4.1.2 and I am rooted . It worked great before on ICS. Any help would be awesome!

Recnamoruen

Reaction score
Go look up the FCC agreement with VZW that happened earlier this year, VZW can no longer prevent you from using an alternative mean to tether your device. They do not have to support it and any overages or problems you have are your problem. The also cannot throttle your 4g connection. I used free wifi tether on my device with an unlimited data plan and was hitting usage amounts of 160-170gb, and no response from them.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
what is wifi tether? is that when u use fox fi wifi app?

because didnt someone say u can only use some much data while using foxfi before vzw charges u with some fee?

moccor

Reaction score
what is wifi tether? is that when u use fox fi wifi app?

because didnt someone say u can only use some much data while using foxfi before vzw charges u with some fee?

I normally don't use more than 1GB of data, even though I'm grandfathered into Unlimited. Sometimes I use less. For about 2 weeks I was using Foxfi, just to test about how much data I could use without Verizon sending me some sort of message or throttle me. I used 13GB in two hours (downloaded a game via Steam) and 17GB in total during November. I actually feel like I actually got what I paid for that month :p.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
what did vzw say? threatin to give u a fee? and what do u mean throttle?

its so gay anyways to begin with since u have unlimited data plan

moccor

Reaction score
They didn't say anything, I'm surprised since for about 36 months, I think i went over 2 GB once haha. And by throttle I mean, reduce my Internet speed. Apparently they can and do do that to people once they reach the top 5% bandwidth users and are on a unlimited plan. It didn't happen to me tho. Also, I'm not sure if that is the right percent. It's something like that though

Recnamoruen

Reaction score
They can only throttle you if have an unlimited plan with a 3g phone. if you have a 4g phone due to the agreements they made with the fcc when they bought the spectrum for their 4g network, they cannot throttle you. And they only throttle if your in the top 5% of data users and your on a congested cell site. But with 4g they cannot prevent you from using your phone as a hotspot using such apps as foxfi or anything else.

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They can only throttle you if have an unlimited plan with a 3g phone. if you have a 4g phone due to the agreements they made with the fcc when they bought the spectrum for their 4g network, they cannot throttle you. And they only throttle if your in the top 5% of data users and your on a congested cell site. But with 4g they cannot prevent you from using your phone as a hotspot using such apps as foxfi or anything else.

correct ! :)

moccor

Reaction score

So wait, it's completely legal to tether using apps as long as it's a 4G phone and using 4G service? I thought it was against the ToS. Or is it technically against it, but the FCC told them otherwise and they just failed to correct/announce that?