Robot Vacuums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by danDroid, Dec 6, 2015.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +351
    Anyone using any of the Robot Vacuums? I'm looking for some real world reviews. Are they worth it? What brand would you would recommend? Are there any that are Android friendly?

Neato Botvac™ D Series Pet and Allergy Robot Vacuum

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I have the first generation Roomba. It was entertaining to watch it clean, but it's not a vacuum, I consider it more of a sweeper.
    I did use it for a bit since I have a dog that sheds like crazy, but after like 5 weeks use of picking up dog hair, I spent more time cleaning the Roomba and then going back over the same areas in the corners to pick up the leftover dirt.

Now technology for robotic vacuums has come a long way, but I don't think the cleaning power really justifies the price of one. I could be wrong though.

Personally if I'm going to drop the kind of money on a vacuum that was provided with your link, I rather get a Dyson cordless stick vacuum. Have one of those and it's been an amazing vacuum.

3. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +351
    I was looking at that Neato unit because there is a $150.00 coupon code right now. Seems like a good deal but it's still a lot.

Now that I have two little ones running around the house making making messes everywhere.. I'm really starting to think something automated following right behind them would be awesome :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    If you have hardwood then it makes for a great sweeper. Carpet, at least mine, doesn't do a very good job at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    No personal experience, but they're definitely designed to be an in-between actual cleanings kind of thing. I wouldn't expect one to keep the floors clean enough that they wouldn't need a good cleaning before fancy company comes over, but I'd expect it to keep up enough that I'm not having to clean the floors daily or maybe weekly.

That said, we've got nothing but carpet, 2 cats, and a dog. I don't think I'll be investing in one any time soon. We'd fill it's dirt chamber before it needed charged up again, I'm sure.

6. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force / Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    smalltownlife13
    I have 2 Neato botvacs and love them both!

I have the BotVac D that you have referenced the link in your OP and it performs very well - no concerns at all. We have small pets in the house and it picks up hair / fur exceptionally well even along walls and edges. I also have the XV21 which is one of the first models they released and it is still chugging right along :).

I wish the BotVac Connected series would have been out when I received my 2nd botvac, but it was not but I am sure it will perform as well as the others Neato makes as both of mine perform quite well. The connected series is what allows you control via phone - both Android and Apple I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  7. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force / Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    smalltownlife13
    And the Neato series works well on both hardwood (which is the majority of my house) and also cleans what carpet we do have (which consists of varying styles in area rugs)...