Ringtones, where and how?

Pessoa

Reaction score
As a new user who converted from iPhone I thought it might be simpler to assign ringtones to different contacts, etc. But first I need to have the phone recognize ringtones.

I've read that they should be in a media/ringtones folder and I assume mp3 works. While I've installed some samples on the SD and internal memory they continue to be hidden from the OS.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sdcard-ext/media/audio/ringtones
Is where I put mine...
Alarms and notifications have a folder also.

After putting the mp3 in the folder you may have to reboot for android to recognize them...

----posted maxx'ed out----

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
if you put them on the external SD card there is a possibility that when you plug the phone in to the computer as mass storage your ringtones will revert back to a default ringtone. create a folder on the internal memory and lable it ringtones. copy your mp3s into it and you should be fine.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you put them on the external SD card there is a possibility that when you plug the phone in to the computer as mass storage your ringtones will revert back to a default ringtone. create a folder on the internal memory and lable it ringtones. copy your mp3s into it and you should be fine.

True.. but I have had mine like this since February not a problem yet... but I don't plug in to PC often anymore. I use motocast to transfer...

SallyC

Reaction score
As a new user who converted from iPhone I thought it might be simpler to assign ringtones to different contacts, etc. But first I need to have the phone recognize ringtones.

I've read that they should be in a media/ringtones folder and I assume mp3 works. While I've installed some samples on the SD and internal memory they continue to be hidden from the OS.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

I actually started a thread on this the other day. Some folks have no problems with this, others do. If you're interested, rather than repost it here, my post lists the default locations for various file types (notifications, ringtones, etc.) and the results of placing them in various folders.

I agree with MysticalDreams they should be in your internal memory or they might revert.

I'd put them on the internal memory (create a folder by mounting phone via USB and access the MOT drive). I believe you won't be able to access them until you unmount the drive and you may have to reboot the phone.

SallyC

Reaction score
One more thing, I've heard there may be problems if you use upper case for folder names.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah..
Maybe the reason mine don't revert is because of the "Ringo lite" app that I use..

OP
P

Pessoa

Reaction score
For the life of me I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or why this is so simple yet frustrating. I have put folders with different mp3 files all over the place and still no recognition of a ringtone.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the wonderful responses.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the life of me I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or why this is so simple yet frustrating. I have put folders with different mp3 files all over the place and still no recognition of a ringtone.

Try rebooting the phone it may help..
If not what location are you actually putting them?

SallyC

Reaction score

Which directory are they in?
Are all files lower case?
Realize the name you're looking for is not necessarily the filename. The ringtone or notification name is based on meta tags so scroll through them all.
Be sure you have them in the right folder. For example, notification sounds for emails are in the notification folder not ringtones.
You may have to power off your phone and then back on.

Let us know if this helps. It's curious how it's not working for some.

OP
P

Pessoa

Reaction score
Much thanks to all.

After powering down, charging on AC and firing it up this morning there it was a new ringtone.

Thanks, now on to the next issue...

SallyC

Reaction score
Much thanks to all.

After powering down, charging on AC and firing it up this morning there it was a new ringtone.

Thanks, now on to the next issue...

Great! Thanks for posting back.