Ringtone changes? Virus?

dirtmerchant

Reaction score
retraced steps

Ok, rewind to my first post....
I received a phonecall with the correct ringer

I then got back to the office and plugged in my phone to charge via the PC and the USB/Power Cord

I received a phonecall with the wrong ringer while my phone was charging.

I then went into my sounds and encoutered the Zelda ringtone being selected(tho that was not the one that had just played incorrectly, the wrong ringtone was a standard ring)

I then made my first post

I then went into sounds again and ZERO of the custom ringtones were showing on the list

I then made my 2nd post

I then took my phone off the charger to bring with me to check out as i did something elsewhere in the office. Went into sounds and settings and all the custome ringtones were once again back on the list.

Ive tried it several times now and i just dont get it, sometimes when my phones connected the custom rigtones show up, sometimes they dont. i thought i had figured it out for a second there, but then they go and show up while my phone was connected. Please help

dirtmerchant

Reaction score
Hate to do it but bumping this topic. Id like to hear something from a head honcho about it, even if that response is" we don't know why it does it"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

tastypotato

Reaction score
I'm having this issue as well. I use Zedge and that's it. I haven't installed any applications recently that should be causing this kind of an issue it just started happening. Perhaps there's something wrong with Zedge that is resetting our ringtones?

janson745

Reaction score
There was a report that if you underclock your phone it will resort to the default ringtone. I wonder if you have a variation of this?

Are you using custom ringtones or just the stock ones?

I have not heard of this before... But I am certain this has to be it.

I just rooted my phone Monday night. I installed the P3 kernel up to 1g. I have my phone overclocked to 1000 and underclocked when screen off to 125.

All day yesterday and so far today, if my screen is off, the default ring goes off. If my phone is awake and I am using it, my actual ringtone (saved from a soundboard) works. All notifications are correct regardless of screen state.

I really believe that if the phone is clocked less than the 400 that it was set to, you will get the default ringtone.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No. My Screen Off is set to 400/250 and I have no issues with my ringer. I use Ringtone and Tunee Music.

There was a report that if you underclock your phone it will resort to the default ringtone. I wonder if you have a variation of this?

Are you using custom ringtones or just the stock ones?

I have not heard of this before... But I am certain this has to be it.

I just rooted my phone Monday night. I installed the P3 kernel up to 1g. I have my phone overclocked to 1000 and underclocked when screen off to 125.

All day yesterday and so far today, if my screen is off, the default ring goes off. If my phone is awake and I am using it, my actual ringtone (saved from a soundboard) works. All notifications are correct regardless of screen state.

I really believe that if the phone is clocked less than the 400 that it was set to, you will get the default ringtone.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

DroidForums junkie!

baditup

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but its not when I restart the phone and so far the only ringtone thats changed by itself is the incoming call. Notifications have stayed the same since I chose it. Shortly before I made this post i received a phone call and it was the one I chose, good old underworld tune from original super mario.
I get a call about fifteen minutes later and it rang with one of the standard ringers the phone came with. Another odd thing, I went into settings and sounds and opened up phone ringtone and the ringtone that was selected was not the one that had just played, in fact the one selected was "Legened of Zelda-Secret" (yes im an oldschool gamer stfuuuuu).

Whats going on? I just want to be able to recognize when its my phone ringing

I'm having the same problem with a D2 we just got here for the newsies. One of them (we have five, haven't tested anything) is displaying these same symptoms. User sets custom ringtone (mp3), user gets call with selected ringtone, time passes, user gets another call with default ringtone... Unsure of specifics of HIS testing but he tells me that it works immediately after powering on and selecting a ringtone (mp3) then doesn't... also, he's experiencing the "can't play mp3s" problem described earlier in this post. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was the sdcard starting to crap out. It's not totally unheard of for, say, a computer to go out with a bad piece of memory so why not the phones? Right? Guys? hahaha....

AL1EN DR01D

Reaction score
Ok, rewind to my first post....
I received a phonecall with the correct ringer

I then got back to the office and plugged in my phone to charge via the PC and the USB/Power Cord

I received a phonecall with the wrong ringer while my phone was charging.

I then went into my sounds and encoutered the Zelda ringtone being selected(tho that was not the one that had just played incorrectly, the wrong ringtone was a standard ring)

I then made my first post

I then went into sounds again and ZERO of the custom ringtones were showing on the list

I then made my 2nd post

I then took my phone off the charger to bring with me to check out as i did something elsewhere in the office. Went into sounds and settings and all the custome ringtones were once again back on the list.

Ive tried it several times now and i just dont get it, sometimes when my phones connected the custom rigtones show up, sometimes they dont. i thought i had figured it out for a second there, but then they go and show up while my phone was connected. Please help

I too have been experiencing the random changes of ringtones with my Droid 2, which is bizzare because NONE of my custom ringtones are what they're supposed to be when this happens! I use the Hancent SMS app to help me use my custom ringtones, and what I believe ends up happening, is whenever I have my Phone hooked up to my Computer, The Phone is set to go into Debug mode, and it ends up screwing up the ringtone configuration, (unsure if it's once in awhile or every single time it's connected, but it's what seems to cause this) There's been a couple times where I've had my phone hooked up to my computer & I get an incoming call from someone, and it's not even the Default Ringtone that comes up, some weird "Ring ring, Ring ring" which I don't even recall being a standard ringer on the phone.

Bottom Line, I believe connecting the phone to the PC and causing the phone to switch into Debug mode is what causes the ringtones to rearrange themselves. Can anyone confirm this? And is there any way to prevent this from happening again??

Rusman1

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a fix for this? My phone does this and I haven't been able to trce it to any particular event or app. It is a droid x running 2.3.3.

Rusman1

Reaction score
Wanted to add that it seems to change just to custom ringtones from vzw, it doesn't seem to ever pick the stock ringtones.