Internal storage
On the Rezound as it shows in the
SD and Phone Storage menu in Settings.

Thanks

B
Loving my rooted bloatfree Rezound!

jchammer123

Reaction score
Someone else may be able to go into more detail, but I'll give it a go. The internal storage is where things like apps are installed. The internal sdcard is where things like pictures and downloads go.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SD Storage is obviously the removable SD card.

The internal memory was partitioned into two parts:

Phone storage: for media, pictures, music, movies, external app data etc...

Internal storage: the smaller partition for the storing of the apps themselves along with contacts and other system data (primarily for apps)

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Very cool.
Thanks

B

JeffDenver

Reaction score
All storage is referred to as "SD" on the Rezound. This was kind of weird to me when I first got it. The external storage is usually called "External SD" or some variant.

The Internal storage is divided up into a 10 gig partition (called just "SD") and a 3 gig partition...the 3 gig partition is where all your apps are stored by default. You cannot access this unless you are installing or uninstalling apps to it.

You can still install apps to the other areas if you want to, just as with any Android phone. 3 gigs is a lot of space though....I cant imagine anyone would need more than that. Thats pretty roomy.

(I came to this phone from a Droid 1...the Droid 1 has only 130 megs of app space or so on its internal storage, LOL)

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
(I came to this phone from a Droid 1...the Droid 1 has only 130 megs of app space or so on its internal storage, LOL)

As did I, and I liked it so much I wasn't sure that I wanted to upgrade, but kept running out of space.

That was one of the motivating factors...
In addition to the bigger screen, blinding fast processor and 4G capabilities...
I don't regret the move.
Lol

B

JeffDenver

Reaction score
That was one of the motivating factors...
In addition to the bigger screen, blinding fast processor and 4G capabilities...
I don't regret the move.
The main thing that would have dramatically increased the lifespan of the Droid 1 was RAM. That 256megs of RAM is what killed it.

Every other problem could be solved (overclock the CPU to 1ghz easy, add a big SD card for apps) but there was no getting around that RAM problem. It was the only real flaw in the Droid 1's design IMO.

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
Agreed. Especially if you used the OG for corporate mail as Touchdown alone was 30 meg. Once I went to Froyo and loaded TD, the redraws started and it became unusable. Too bad as otherwise it was awesome.

Joe
Sent from my Rezound (Rooted)

glennj

Reaction score
This is what I'm not understanding.....so what is the "SD Card" storage for then, showing 15 GB? Using Astro to "move to SD card" some of the apps doesn't impact that number. Astro won't even show hardly any of the apps on SD....some are there, maybe 5 -6, but not the 30-40 I moved. I didn't have this issue with the Tbolt.

I have my camera set to store pics on the SD card, set from within the camera app. I go to Astro, and the DCIM folder is empty.

Poking around in SD and Phone Storage in Settings, and clicking on "Make More Space" under the SD Card storage, i can generate a list of the apps that I moved, so apparently it's Astro that can't make sense of the storage options on the Rezound. I still don't know where it's putting pictures.

Just kind of confusing and disappointing (with Astro, not the Rezound) that my favorite file manager doesn't work right on it. Any other file managers working well for any of you?

*edit: it was closer to around 80 apps i moved to the SD card

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
This is what I'm not understanding.....so what is the "SD Card" storage for then, showing 15 GB? Using Astro to "move to SD card" some of the apps doesn't impact that number. Astro won't even show hardly any of the apps on SD....some are there, maybe 5 -6, but not the 30-40 I moved. I didn't have this issue with the Tbolt.

I have my camera set to store pics on the SD card, set from within the camera app. I go to Astro, and the DCIM folder is empty.

Poking around in SD and Phone Storage in Settings, and clicking on "Make More Space" under the SD Card storage, i can generate a list of the apps that I moved, so apparently it's Astro that can't make sense of the storage options on the Rezound. I still don't know where it's putting pictures.

Just kind of confusing and disappointing (with Astro, not the Rezound) that my favorite file manager doesn't work right on it. Any other file managers working well for any of you?

Actually, Astro works just fine, you just aren't looking hard enough. Try this;

Open Astro and Press "File Manager", then press the menu button. then select preferences. From here you can change your "Home Directory to ext_sd. You can also change your "Backup Directory" to ext_sd as well. - Problem solved.

glennj

Reaction score
Actually, Astro works just fine, you just aren't looking hard enough. Try this;

Open Astro and Press "File Manager", then press the menu button. then select preferences. From here you can change your "Home Directory to ext_sd. You can also change your "Backup Directory" to ext_sd as well. - Problem solved.

Thanks for the reply.......so i tried what you suggested......when I get to the "Home Directory" window, I open the blue folder box next to the text field and then choose "ext_sd" folder, and then "ok" and the ext_sd extension appears in the field and i hit "OK"

"Preferences" shows the /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd as my "Home Directory." So I hit the "Home" button, and then "Preferences" and it's back to "/mnt/sdcard." It always reverts back to "/mnt/sdcard" as my home directory.

The "ext_sd" folder only shows 3 subfolders: "DCIM, LOST.DIR and Video" ....the last two are empty. I still cannot find a way for Astro to populate a list of all my apps.

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
DOOOOOOD!!! I see what you mean. I tried to back up too and it only goes to the friggen internal storage, no matter what you do. Maybe the pro version will allow that change but the free version won't. I use Titanium for all of my backups, so this is the first time I actually tried it with Astro. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Malkavian

Reaction score
Here is my take on the storage thing with the Rezound. You have 1GB of Ram, we all know this. There is 16 GB of internal storage and 16GB of external storage on the SDCard. The internal 16GB has 6GB being used by system files and other things, that leave 10GB. What I have noticed is that many of the programs that give you system status and storage status are having a problem with the external storage. It doesn't know how to see it. The program I currently use, ES Task Manager, doesn't see the External SD Card. It sees the 1GB ram, 2.34GB internal Storage, this is part of that 6GB, and 10.48GB SDcard, and nothing concerning the removable SDcard.

The reason I think it cannot see it is because the removable card is an extensin of the internal storage, basically the EXT_SD folder is the only way to get to the external SDCard. I have tried two other programs, but don't remember their names, and they both came back with the same results. I'm thinking the developers might need to update their software to look at the ext_SD folder as an External storage and read the folder size. The rezound is the first phone that I know of with this configuration on storage, that I know of.

Michael

Alchemist945

Reaction score
ya this needs fixed i just got my rezound all my downloads save to phone memory insted of sd y would they name the internal mem as sd all the aps even knowing u move them to sd card u dont cause it goes to internal only