[Resquest] Source ROM

flyinglulz

Reaction score
I just was wondering how hard it would be to use the android source downloadable from Google directly on the Droid 3. MotoBlurr is driving me nuts.

Teleport Successful

elranzer

Reaction score
I second this. I currently have an original Motorola Droid with vanilla Gingerbread 2.3 ROM (thanks Peter Alfonso!), and would love something similar for the Droid 3.

Motoblur is absolutely ugly and detestable, however, I also don't want to jump to some modder's own unremovable skin either. I hate all skins and themes, whether it's Sense, Motoblur, TouchWiz, or some modder's required theme on a custom ROM. (At least with Cyanogen, it appears they just default to LauncherPro, which is completely customizable).

I don't mind a theming ENGINE being built into the custom ROM, but I want the default to be stock/vanilla Android.

I think it's too much to ask these days.

technogeek00

Reaction score
Peter Alfonso does some absolutely amazing work with the D1 and building Gingerbread roms but he makes it look way easier than it is haha. I have been trying to port the stock rom to the D3 but with school back in session I simply have almost no time. I will put forward an effort to get a build up and running but there is no timeline.

I am completely with you though, I love the vanilla interface much more than any other one, especially the new 4.0 from the demo I saw tonight, but that source wont be accessible for awhile seeing how android.git.kernel.org is still offline after kernel.orgs hack.

In the mean time I have gone through the source that I already have downloaded and built the stock launcher application that replaces the blur homescreen and launcher with the standard one. Im willing to upload it if you want to give it a shot.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

elranzer

Reaction score
Your work and dedication is much appreciated. I can't even begin to guess how to compile the source and drivers for a specific device. I just figured if the bootloader can be hacked, then the job can be done.

I'll be waiting with baited breath for a stock Gingerbread (now Ice Cream Sandwich?) ROM, as I won't buy a new Android device unless a vanilla ROM is available. (I don't own a Droid 3 now, as I was waiting for the ROM to be available first. I didn't want to be "stuck" with Motoblur.)

jjhiza

Reaction score
Hashcode is hammering out some kinks in the CM7 build, and Liberty just released their ROM yesterday. I'm waiting for some minor feedback, before I flash Liberty, since I've never owned a supported device, but so far, that ROM looks to be one of the best available. Both are "Blur-less", and seem to be running fairly smoothly as well, so there's 2 AOSP firmwares to check out! :)

Edit: I've been running Liberty RC1 for about 5 hours now, and I'm very impressed. No lag, no bugs…just a bare-bones AOSP experience, with some speed tweaks thrown in. If you're looking for something really smooth and quick, try this out!! :)

Last edited:

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hashcode is hammering out some kinks in the CM7 build, and Liberty just released their ROM yesterday. I'm waiting for some minor feedback, before I flash Liberty, since I've never owned a supported device, but so far, that ROM looks to be one of the best available. Both are "Blur-less", and seem to be running fairly smoothly as well, so there's 2 AOSP firmwares to check out! :)

Edit: I've been running Liberty RC1 for about 5 hours now, and I'm very impressed. No lag, no bugs…just a bare-bones AOSP experience, with some speed tweaks thrown in. If you're looking for something really smooth and quick, try this out!! :)

liberty is blur based ;)

its aosp like, but blur based.

jjhiza

Reaction score
Ah, I stand corrected. After going through the system files on Root Explorer, I found that you're absolutely right. It's still one hell of a ROM (considering it's still only at the RC1 phase), but I guess that leaves CM7 as the only AOSP firmware available. I'm deffinately going to try it once Hash gets the camera working, and the external SD mounting. :)

OP
F

flyinglulz

Reaction score
I'm currently using Liberty, it feels pretty darn good for a blur based ROM. Really excited for the official release.

Teleport Successful

jjhiza

Reaction score
I agree... I'm starting to wonder if maintaining the Blur base is such a terrible thing. Sure, it may not be TRUE AOSP, but leaving the base untouched may make troubleshooting and fixes much easier... plus, we already know that the build base will work, so there should be very, very few bugs. I'm pretty excited as well. :)