[REQ] Add a file manager into Rubix install

Reaction score
I decided to do the whole SBF to .15 and OTA, install 1.9, etc...

I decided I did not want to actually setup my google account, sync with the market until I had finished installing the .340 Patch to 1.9 and my choice of theme (BlackJuice v4 Blue).

However, once I got into the basic Rubix install, there was no file manager (astro or otherwise) to use to install DroidXBootstrapper. I keep a basic set of APK's on the sdcard so I can do certain tweaks before syncing my account, but I don't know of a way to install an APK without some sort of file manager.

Is there another way? Or should something be included in the next build of Rubix?

Thanks,
-Z

Edit: I did find a way to install an APK without setting up my Market account:

Use ADB shell (I'm very comfortable with ADB Shell .. others might not be so comfortable). and copy the SDK you want installed into /data/app

ie: In only really needed droidxbootstrap at this moment (to finish the patching/themeing) so in adb shell:

Code:
c:\ adb shell
$SU
# cp /sdcard/apks/droidxbootstrap.apk  /data/app/droidxbootstrap.apk
#reboot

This assumes you have the APK's and locations I do, but if you got this far, you should be able to change the directories to fit your needs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just learned a good trick on here and that's to get Root Explorer on here and put a load of the common files you need (Bootstrap, z4Root, Root Explorer etc.) into the /preinstall/app folder.

You do need to also generate an md5 file for them and put them in /preinstall/md5

I'm not sure if that all get over written with an sbf but if you are bouncing around on roms it will auto-install those apps on a wipe. Really usefully.

for right now you should be able to use terminal to get a basic file manager installed.

sudo apt-get sd/appmanager/astro.apk

if you google it i'm sure you can find an apk of astro

hope that helps!

OP
Zaphod-Beeblebrox
Reaction score
I just learned a good trick on here and that's to get Root Explorer on here and put a load of the common files you need (Bootstrap, z4Root, Root Explorer etc.) into the /preinstall/app folder.

You do need to also generate an md5 file for them and put them in /preinstall/md5

I'm not sure if that all get over written with an sbf but if you are bouncing around on roms it will auto-install those apps on a wipe. Really usefully.

for right now you should be able to use terminal to get a basic file manager installed.

hope that helps!

I had known about the /preinstall folder, but until you just posted that, I never really thought about using it outside of the ROM install. I had been wanting drod to include certain apps (like the market version of ADW, rather than the standalone) as part of the install. Never occured to me that I could just dump my own setup into there. the ROM install doesn't touch that dir, so it should be the perfect place to drop my 'needs' :hail:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

hope that helps!

I had known about the /preinstall folder, but until you just posted that, I never really thought about using it outside of the ROM install. I had been wanting drod to include certain apps (like the market version of ADW, rather than the standalone) as part of the install. Never occured to me that I could just dump my own setup into there. the ROM install doesn't touch that dir, so it should be the perfect place to drop my 'needs' :hail:

The market version is the standalone version :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Another good 1 to put in there is appbrain. Makes coming back from a botched apprestore via the market much easier

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Zaphod-Beeblebrox
Reaction score

hope that helps!

The market version is the standalone version :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Starting to realize that. All along I've been mistaken thinking that by installing it into /system that we would not be able to get updates via the market for this?

Will ADW autoupdate via the market for us?

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'll be adding one. Likely the CM one, it's nice :)

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I'm able to install .apks with the stock File program on the phone...

teh_g

Reaction score
I use ADB shell to install apps. I need to generate some md5 checksum files so that TB can be installed automatically.