Removing apps/bloatware

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I am in the IT business and when I buy a computer, the first thing I do is spend an hour uninstalling all the ****ware that comes with the Dell computers that I buy. I like to optimize my systems. My current Dell workstation has a replaced power supply, graphics card, and hard drive. That said, I rooted my Droid 1 and spent countless days installing roms and setting everything up the way I wanted.

I promised myself that I wouldn't root when I got the HTC Thunderbolt cuz I just wanted a nice phone and not spend hours and hours rooting, rom'ing, and customizing. After getting 6-10 hours of battery life, seeing how bloated the phone was, I had to root. It just makes me so incredibly upset that we're force fed these things when we pay through the nose for them already! I am someone who pays so I don't have to see/hear advertisements. I can't stand radio because of the ads. I have subscriptions for Pandora and Slacker. I rooted the Thunderbolt to remove the craptons of sh*tware. And guess what? after 9 hours of good use, I'm at 70% battery. I've been streaming Pandora/Amazon Mp3/Slacker with bluetooth headphones since 6am this morning (11:12am now) and I'm at 80% battery. I couldn't do that unrooted no matter what.

Just amazes me that HTC and Verizon would release such a ****ty phone just for a few extra advertisement bucks. The HTC Thunderbolt is 5x better now that it is rooted and updated with a kernel that actually maximizes battery life.

I mean, come the **** on. I pay $95+/month for 2 years and $300+ for this damn phone and you're going to f*ck it up with bloatware and make it 1/10th the device it could be? **** you Verizon. **** you HTC.

I'd be an iPhone user if I couldn't root.

slinky

Reaction score
EXCELLENT post. I think the problem is that if most of us are ready to spend money on the phone, we'd be willing to spend the extra $1.48 or whatever it is to remove the crapware from the phone and make it work better. But we have no options.

This is another reason why, while I don't root atm, I'd prefer the Thunderbolt over the Bionic. Nobody knows how high and deep that unit might be piled.

Forgetful

Reaction score
I am in the IT business and when I buy a computer, the first thing I do is spend an hour uninstalling all the ****ware that comes with the Dell computers that I buy. I like to optimize my systems. My current Dell workstation has a replaced power supply, graphics card, and hard drive. That said, I rooted my Droid 1 and spent countless days installing roms and setting everything up the way I wanted.

I promised myself that I wouldn't root when I got the HTC Thunderbolt cuz I just wanted a nice phone and not spend hours and hours rooting, rom'ing, and customizing. After getting 6-10 hours of battery life, seeing how bloated the phone was, I had to root. It just makes me so incredibly upset that we're force fed these things when we pay through the nose for them already! I am someone who pays so I don't have to see/hear advertisements. I can't stand radio because of the ads. I have subscriptions for Pandora and Slacker. I rooted the Thunderbolt to remove the craptons of sh*tware. And guess what? after 9 hours of good use, I'm at 70% battery. I've been streaming Pandora/Amazon Mp3/Slacker with bluetooth headphones since 6am this morning (11:12am now) and I'm at 80% battery. I couldn't do that unrooted no matter what.

Just amazes me that HTC and Verizon would release such a ****ty phone just for a few extra advertisement bucks. The HTC Thunderbolt is 5x better now that it is rooted and updated with a kernel that actually maximizes battery life.

I mean, come the **** on. I pay $95+/month for 2 years and $300+ for this damn phone and you're going to f*ck it up with bloatware and make it 1/10th the device it could be? **** you Verizon. **** you HTC.

I'd be an iPhone user if I couldn't root.

What Kernel and/or ROM are you using to get such good battery life?

I've removed bloatware and that's it, but I'm still getting same battery life.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
What Kernel and/or ROM are you using to get such good battery life?

I've removed bloatware and that's it, but I'm still getting same battery life.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-roms/138140-rom-4-2-2011-das-bamf-1-3-2-a.html - Das Bamf 1.3.2 Rom comes bloatware free.

and
The Das Bamf 1.3.2 kernel update (on XDA's page) Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

I have all syncs set to Once a day/manual. And brightness at 30%.