Unrooted, Reinstalled bloatware. Marked as downloaded and removed when wiped

xmguy

Reaction score
As the title says I backed up the apks for the bloatware when I removed them. I backed up to my SD card. Well I put the apks back in the same place and installed them. When I wipe the phone the apps are removed. When I pull up the apps list. They are listed as downloaded. How do I make the phone think they are preinstalled again without the 2.3.151 SBF?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to install them while your rooted and fix the permissions to make them system apps again.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
You have to install them while your rooted and fix the permissions to make them system apps again.

I'm using root explorer. What permissions do I use?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's the 4th instruction down. Try this>>>

-Place the apk(s) of the apps on your sdcard.

-Use your chosen means to copy the apk(s) to /system/app (this will require making /system/app writable. In Root Manager just press the R/W key when you're exploring /system/app).

-Click on the apk once it's in /system/app and install it.

-Now, you've installed the program, but the system won't see it as a system app unless you change it's permissions. In Root Manager, long press on the app (in /system/app) and click on "permissions". Then make sure that only the following boxes are clicked: User Read, User Write, Group Read, Others Read.

-Make sure you make /system/app read only again by clicking that box in the top right while you're exploring the folder.

-Reboot phone.

Now the apps should be loaded and the system should recognize them as system apps (you can verify by opening Titanium and noticing they're in red). This should make you good to go for whatever OTA comes. If you're unsure which apks in the system dump correspond to the apps you've deleted, just explore your /system/app and compare it to the system dump app list. Any apks in the dump but not in yours are what you're looking for.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may be looking at an SBF. I did this to a "T" before the froyo update and it still wouldn't allow me to update. Installed apk's, fixed permissions, deleted all Super User apk and files and unrooted. Still had no luck.

They showed as system app's and worked properly. Don't know what happened. But the above shows you how to fix permissions properly.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
That worked thanks! I already found out what to use however. I checked other apks in the system/app folder. They all had the same permissions. So I set all the apps back to that. Made sure they were installed. This site needs a (legal) restore to stock sticky. Like if removing bloatware to BACKUP the APKs to the SD card. etc...

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
That worked thanks! I already found out what to use however. I checked other apks in the system/app folder. They all had the same permissions. So I set all the apps back to that. Made sure they were installed. This site needs a (legal) restore to stock sticky. Like if removing bloatware to BACKUP the APKs to the SD card. etc...

Good, glad you figured it out:)

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm worried myself on the new OTA.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea no problem. I'm staying on froyo, no update. But let me know how it works out for ya:)

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Im still on froyo too. I don't care to loose root and my nandroid backups.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid X.