Record with FM Radio?

skinneejoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My wife is thinking of getting a Droid X. Every year we go to a convention that's broadcast over fm frequency and we usually record it with an fm tuner. Does the Droid X's fm radio have the ability to record? Thanks!

Jmarino1980

Reaction score
It does not come with any way of doing this, however I have been reaching this issue and will let you know if I find a way. We too have a district convention we attend yearly and would like to record it.

jsan2727

Reaction score
I have a two day assembly coming up this weekend, has anyone figured out how to do this yet? thanks j

Rmciver

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My wife is thinking of getting a Droid X. Every year we go to a convention that's broadcast over fm frequency and we usually record it with an fm tuner. Does the Droid X's fm radio have the ability to record? Thanks!

Joe this is Sis.McIver did you find out if droids can recorder fm? I'm getting the thunderbolt tomorrow, would love to record spec. Ass. Day Saturday....

Rmciver

Reaction score
It does not come with any way of doing this, however I have been reaching this issue and will let you know if I find a way. We too have a district convention we attend yearly and would like to record it.

Hi...JMarino....were you able to find anything about recording fm from droid phones aka: htc thunderbolt? Thanks ....Sis. McIver

Jmarino1980

Reaction score
Hey Sis,
First, I have a droid x, so I'm not sure if this'll work for you, hope it helps though.

I bought an app called Recordoid, you can get the free version from the market and have follow the link to the Developer's website for the full version. The reason I chose this app is that it allows unlimited recording, and has an option to save the recordings in .wav format, which is more common than the .3gp format, plus it looks like an old tape recorder. I recently found another one called Livo (like Tivo) that costs about the same and has a little more functionality for more technical people. I would try both free versions and see which you like best. If you start the radio and have it play through your phones loudspeaker, then start the recording app, it will record what it hears basically. The downside is that it records EVERYTHING it hears. My phone has a mic right next to the speaker so I get decent quality. here is a link to the full version from my phone for ou to try this weekend if you want, if it works for you, it will be worth buying. dictaphone_4.0_FULL_OTA.apk

Rmciver

Reaction score
Hey Sis,
First, I have a droid x, so I'm not sure if this'll work for you, hope it helps though.

I bought an app called Recordoid, you can get the free version from the market and have follow the link to the Developer's website for the full version. The reason I chose this app is that it allows unlimited recording, and has an option to save the recordings in .wav format, which is more common than the .3gp format, plus it looks like an old tape recorder. I recently found another one called Livo (like Tivo) that costs about the same and has a little more functionality for more technical people. I would try both free versions and see which you like best. If you start the radio and have it play through your phones loudspeaker, then start the recording app, it will record what it hears basically. The downside is that it records EVERYTHING it hears. My phone has a mic right next to the speaker so I get decent quality. here is a link to the full version from my phone for ou to try this weekend if you want, if it works for you, it will be worth buying. dictaphone_4.0_FULL_OTA.apk

I love the THUNDERBOLT.... tho there's alot to Learn on it. Thank you for getting back with me. My email is [email protected] Would welcome some tips on this Droid phone... (smile) I will look into the apps you mentioned. Thank you for your help!

Jmarino1980

Reaction score
Just wanted to check in and see if you tried this last weekend, and how the quality was if you did. Our Special Day is coming soon and I happen to have a few droid phones at my disposal so I'm going to try as many different setups as possible.

sqltechnet

Reaction score
RM Radio Recording Works!!!

Hello Friends - I have good news! Was finally able to record the stock Android FM radio on my HTC Sensation. Download the app TapeMachine from the Market. Upgrade to the pro version as it gives you the mp3 converter and no recording time limits.

Launch Tapemachine app and press record. Then open your FM radion and tune in the convention broadcast. You are already recording once you tune it in. Have tried every app available on the Market and this is the only one that has worked. It also does not kill the audio on the ear buds while recording.

Enjoy the convention!

Agape...
Bro Smith,
Bernalillo Cong.
Rio Rancho, NM

kevinkar

Reaction score
TuneIn Radio Pro also gives you recording capability as far as I know.

sqltechnet

Reaction score
Record with FM Radio

You are absolutely right that TuneIn Radio does have a record feature, but it only streams selected stations from the internet. Many of us attend conventions and assemblies where the program is broadcast locally at the convention site on an FM frequency, and we like to record the program. Since TuneIn only streams FM from the internet this app will not work for non-internet streamed programs.

Thanks for the Reply,

Sqltechnet

B_freer

Reaction score
Unfortunately this does not appear to work on the Droid X. The only sources I get are front and rear mic, and neither record the radio playing through the headphones. This must be some kind of fluke on the sensation? Or do you have a source labeled as "system sounds" or similar? Either way, still in search of a recording solution for local FM.

paranigma33

Reaction score
FM Recorder

Unfortunately this does not appear to work on the Droid X. The only sources I get are front and rear mic, and neither record the radio playing through the headphones. This must be some kind of fluke on the sensation? Or do you have a source labeled as "system sounds" or similar? Either way, still in search of a recording solution for local FM.

Hello Friends, if you download a free program called voice recorder, then begin to play your FM radio. it will record the conventions/assemblies. just make sure you are not using headphones with a mic attached. I know this is a bit late as the conventions are over but you can try it for the next assembly. :)

blue1000

Reaction score
Record FM Radio

Hello Friends - I have good news! Was finally able to record the stock Android FM radio on my HTC Sensation. Download the app TapeMachine from the Market. Upgrade to the pro version as it gives you the mp3 converter and no recording time limits.

Launch Tapemachine app and press record. Then open your FM radion and tune in the convention broadcast. You are already recording once you tune it in. Have tried every app available on the Market and this is the only one that has worked. It also does not kill the audio on the ear buds while recording.

Enjoy the convention!

Agape...
Bro Smith,
Bernalillo Cong.
Rio Rancho, NM

sqltechnet - could you tell me what android version your sensation has and what version of tape machine records fm radio - I would really like to get this working thanks.

Skerminkel

Reaction score

Enjoy the convention!

Agape...
Bro Smith,
Bernalillo Cong.
Rio Rancho, NM

Hope you guys are still following the thread!

I was very excited to see the message, but it seems to be the same solution as all the others. What you are really doing is using a dictaphone app to record whatever sound is available. If it comes from the phone's speaker, it is obviously the loudest. There is no straight connection between the radio and recorder.

In a conference-type environment you cannot switch on your phone speaker and then record it.

Any other ideas?

It seems that someone will have to write a recording app with a built-in FM receiver. I understand from other forums that the FM receiver is very hardware specific, so I am not getting my hopes up :(