Really? No lock screen functionality?

kenkamm

Reaction score
I came from an iPhone and while it doesn't offer much functionality on the lock screen by default, the jailbroken iPhone has many options. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone, but nowadays it's really, really easy and the apps that are offered for jailbreakers are surprisingly good in many cases.

First off, is there no way to control the droid's music playback without unlocking the screen? If not, why not? The iphone allows a double-press of the home button which will reveal your song title, show your album artwork, and give you playback controls (this is default behavior - doesn't require a jailbreak). Of the 20,000+ apps in the marketplace, no one saw the need for this? Really?

On my jailbroken iphone I installed an app called "lock info" which allows you to see previews of all your messages, whether it be for emails, sms, missed calls, etc. It doesn't simply show you how many missed notifications you have. It shows you a preview of the text from sms and email. It also shows you upcoming calendar events, and you can even put weather on there as well. This a free app and works like a charm! Something like this shouldn't even require a "hack" on the droid, and yet, has not been done (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I want to be wrong about this.) On the iphone, one press of the lock/unlock button and all this information was presented to you. On the droid, you have to hit the unlock button, swipe, then drag down the notification bar. Seriously? This is basic stuff that should be available for the android platform. Simply disabling the swipe isn't what we need, because we don't want to be making pocket phone calls. We need to be able to see the information that's under that window shade, without having to pull it down, just by pushing the lock button. I'm not saying we need to be able to go directly to a given notification without unlocking, but the information should be presented to the user.

Having the lock button at the top of the device and the swipe near the bottom of the screen is just goofy. Unlocking the iphone becomes a one-handed seamless gesture once you get used to it because the home button is right below where the swipe is. This is awkward on the droid. Sure, this is a small complaint, but these are the kinds of things that make a difference on the overall ease and pleasure of using the device. Someone, please make an app that would allow us to use the camera button to reveal the swipe screen. I'll take the risk that I'll wake the screen occasionally when the droid is in my pocket.

I guess I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that for now. I love the customization available on the droid so far, but I think we still have a long way to go.

Ken

mjs31

Reaction score
Jailbreak is the key word. Give it time oh impatient one. I dont recall the original iphone being broken in 2 months. Since the Droid has recently been rooted (similar to the iphones jailbreak), it is probably just a matter of time. Also look at the other facts...most things can be tweaked or adjusted to your linking on this phone without the need of jailbreaking it. Cant say that about the Iphone. Plus...when you get an update on the Iphone you again have to wait for someone to rehack it to get back those things you could finally do that Apple would not originally allow.

sir2545

Reaction score
And did you have all that functionality on your first gen Iphone a month after its release. Look how long its taken to get all that....3 generations of Iphone, so I wouldnt say the Droid isnt capable, just noone has dug that far into it and the Market its still in its youth also. Its kinda pointless to have a phone if it stays locked all the time, arent you supposed to be playing with all those great apps on your Iphone? There is still one thing they havent figured out on that tho, how to avoid all those dropped calls, and be able to do mutiple things at one time....oh and hey can you guys send MMS messages yet....lol. If all these things bug you so much, I would just wait until the Droid has a little more time under its belt and keep the Iphone for now.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Just like there's a a couple dozen things the Droid does that the iPhone doesn't, I'm sure there's a couple things the iPhone does that the Droid doesn't. They are completely different platforms/devices. Once is a Ford Focus, the other is an F150 Supercrew. Buy the one that suits you :)

NickWgnr

Reaction score
You could write apps for those things... :)

Haha, lets see you do that on an IPhone. Patience is key here. Eventually everything will have an app, its just a matter of time, and the matter of finding it.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

MInkyboi

Reaction score
seeing as how the iphones been out for YEARS, give it some time

tktouch12

Reaction score
The eris has this ( lockscreen music controls), so the first gen stuff is a bad excuse

mjs31

Reaction score
The eris has this ( lockscreen music controls), so the first gen stuff is a bad excuse

Not really in this case. He was directly comparing the Iphone to the Droid so this does come into play. I understand what you are saying, but the fact is, the Iphone did not have many of the abilities it has now when it first came out. Fact is, much of what the Iphone does that people compare to the Droid, is on a jailbroken Iphone. Wont happen on one thats not.

Last edited:
OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
You guys are right, the iPhone didn't have the ability to jailbreak and provide lock screen functionality when it first came out. However the entire jailbreaking thing had to be figured out, including app stores for the jailbreaking community, plus apps that could perform these functions had to be written. It took a while, but it works now.

The Droid is new but Android has been around for over a year now, correct? The Droid is my first Android phone.

With the freedom to create apps that can access system functions and no worry of apple approval, I am just quite surprised that nothing is available for android users to provide some lock screen function. This is one of the major complaints of iphone users! I thought for sure this would be a slam dunk on the droid.

This app seems to mimic the look of the iphone or other lock screen, but still doesn't provide anything really useful.

...Its kinda pointless to have a phone if it stays locked all the time, arent you supposed to be playing with all those great apps on your Iphone? There is still one thing they havent figured out on that tho, how to avoid all those dropped calls, and be able to do mutiple things at one time....oh and hey can you guys send MMS messages yet....lol. If all these things bug you so much, I would just wait until the Droid has a little more time under its belt and keep the Iphone for now.
We're not operating the phone from the lock screen. We are just getting a preview of what we've missed since we last used the device. If you want to SMS, email, or call someone, you still unlock the phone. But you shouldn't have to unlock the screen and pull down the shade just to see if you missed an important call, meeting, email, etc. A preview of those items is useful.

Guess what... when you jailbreak the iPhone you can run things in the background just like a droid can. They have task managers, task switchers, memory managers, all the stuff the droid has, and the 3GS has the horsepower to run it. YES, a jailbreak was required to get there. This is even MORE reason these things should already exist on the android platform, IMO... no "hacking" should be required to make these things a reality.

Yes, the iphone can MMS. It was a long time coming though, LOL! I don't use it more than maybe once a month so I don't care.

Don't misunderstand me here, guys. I like the droid, I'm keeping the droid and selling the iPhone. This is a wishlist sort of thing for me. While the iPhone can be jailbroken, I don't like the fact that it's required to get the some of the functionality that Apple should have added years ago. Plus, I want something different - I've been using an iPhone since July of 2007 and I just need a change.

CDB, I'll take a look at Executive Assistant.

Where is the app request section on this forum?

sir2545

Reaction score
We're not operating the phone from the lock screen. We are just getting a preview of what we've missed since we last used the device. If you want to SMS, email, or call someone, you still unlock the phone. But you shouldn't have to unlock the screen and pull down the shade just to see if you missed an important call, meeting, email, etc. A preview of those items is useful.

You dont have to unlock and pull down the shade, that is what the configurable LED is for..another of those Idont's. Oh look mine is blinking right now, its blinking blue so that means I've missed a text. You are gonna like this feature of your Droid and Im sure the functions you want will come in time, but I couldnt live without the LED since owning a Blackberry....every phone should have this.

Last edited:

nunka

Reaction score

This app should be of interest to you. It's still in the very early stages of development, but it looks like it will eventually become exactly the thing you're looking for.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score

You dont have to unlock and pull down the shade, that is what the configurable LED is for..another of those Idont's. Oh look mine is blinking right now, its blinking blue so that means I've missed a text. You are gonna like this feature of your Droid and Im sure the functions you want will come in time, but I couldnt live without the LED since owning a Blackberry....every phone should have this.
Hmm. Well I sure have a tough time reading the subject line of an email, seeing who I missed a call from, or previewing a text message from that LED. :)

I agree the LED is nice - definitely one of the things the iPhone should have had the day it was introduced. But we're talking about the ability to see previews of emails, missed calls, calendar events, etc. - going beyond the function of the LED.