1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Razr MAXX WiFi Hotspot problem?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by MaXGTS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

I'm just about ready to upgrade my Droid OG to the Maxx. The one thing that's holding me back is a message a user posted regarding the wifi hotspot on his newly rooted Maxx. This is what he said in another thread:

Can anyone else who's also rooted their new Maxx try to replicate this issue with their phone? This is THE main thing I plan on using as soon as I get the Maxx. It's there's an issue, I'll have to hold on to my Droid OG until it's resolved. So, who else is experiencing this problem?

I also found this on Verizon's support forum:
    https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/742320
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

Wow, 164 views and not a single response to try and figure this out. Way to go, A+ for effort!

:yahoo:
  3. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

I would take the lack of response to mean that most people looking at the thread are in the same spot as you...looking at getting the phone, but have no answer for you since they don't own it. It might be better to post in the Razr forum as there are a lot more viewing that forum.
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good answer. Also since the phone's been out for what, a day?! Perhaps there's just not that many that root their phone before they've gone through their first charging cycle. 0.0

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. jeverts

jeverts New Member

Sarcasm is not necessary. You can make your point with out insults.
  6. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for saying it. I had also typed a similar reply but chose not to send it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  7. pappatech

pappatech New Member

Ok....wanted to test it for a while before I posted prematurely again...:p...installed the .173 update and even though I have heard some complaints from others, so far I have none. In fact it doubled my speeds, which for 4G are not real good but that is probably due to the area I live in. Before I was getting like 11mbps down and 8 up ofr something. Now I am getting 20 down and 12 up. Hot spot hack is working, everything seems stable. It has only been about 3 hours but I noticed the problems before right away. I will say this, and I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not, when I got my razr it had .744 on it and I had to update to .748 then I did the hack. Everything worked. ON the maxx it came with .748 on it, I did the hack and it did not work stable. I fastbooted back to .744 then ota to .748. After that I applyed the .173 update and everything has been blissful since. Hope this helps.
  8. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

Where did you get the .173 update for the MAXX ?
  9. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

I can tell you that the Hotspot is still screwed up on the Maxx just like the Razr, if you use the VZW $30 monthly option. Verizon supposedly is working on a solution. I cancelled my hotspot service yesterday because of it.
  10. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

So the legit hotspot has problems accessing certain websites but the rooted wifi tether doesn't have any problems?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  11. jrpbulk

jrpbulk New Member

What is it with people like you? I guess you think this is your own private support group and that your are entitled to immediate answer.

I know you are frustrated but come on! Then you go and ignore the nice push back replies. enjoy "all" the voluntary support you will get from this community.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
  12. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 New Member

What if you root and install open garden? I pay for the mobile hotspot unlimited $30 per month, so not having that feature functional would be a problem. But if I could root and use open garden then I would be content. Appreciate any thoughts if any razr/razr maxx owners know the answer.
  13. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Since I haven't rooted mine yet (I'll probably be rooting it this week end), I can't tell you that the "illegal" hotspot works, but I can tell you that the Verizon approved hotspot does not work on all sites. I complained to everyone at Verizon and I held out until the Maxx came out, then I went and tested the Maxx in store with the manager, sales person, and head technician watching me I showed them all that the hotspot was broke. Then, after I explained and demonstrated, they went and found out from the second level techs that yes, the hotspot is broke and they are working towards a solution, but have NO idea when one will be available. So, moral of this story? If you need to run a WiFi hotspot on the Razr, root and run an illegitimate one.
  14. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

Scottysize, what are some of the websites that don't work with the legit hotspot? I'd like to have a rooted user try those sites out with the non-legit hotspot and see what happens.
  15. pappatech

pappatech New Member

No...it still has problems. I ran it for about 8hrs yesterday and had no problems. Today it is on again off again. Not consistent. Right now it is fine but connecting seems to have issues. Once I get connected, as stupid as this sounds, if I start off browsing web pages, checking email etc. and then go to to something heavier like steaming video it does fine. But if I connect and go directly to Netflix or try to download anything too big right off it disconnects and has issues. Like it needs to warm up :blink: . Trust me, I have a BS in computer science and I know how this sounds. But I have tested this about 10 times now and it seems to be legit. As for the .173 update... DROID RAZR Android 2.3.6 update (6.12.173) leaks, Install without root | TalkAndroid.com . This is really bothering me now, I will do some deeper-than-i-wanted-to-dig digging now. I'll keep you posted.
  16. pappatech

pappatech New Member

That does not work either. That was actually the first thing I tried. Barnacle is no good either. I am pretty sure this whole issue is because Verizon tried so hard to make sure that people couldn't root and get for free that they caused the problem. If you put open garden or barnacle on razr or maxx, when you start them up the verizon hot spot fires up also. I am currently looking through the DB to see if I can find a CTA switch. I'll keep looking and let you know.
  17. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Like I said, I haven't tried it with the rooted apps, but I'm now rooted, so I can, if I get the WiFi tether for root going. Sites that I know do not work:

Yahoo!
    All Topics - The Latest News Headlines, Videos and Images - Digg
    Netflix App

There are a lot more, and the Verizon guy listed them off for me, but these I know for a fact do not work. I will mess with the WiFi Tether and see what I find out, but I can tell you that there are no issues, if you connect using the bluetooth. I have a Prime tablet and connected to my Razr's bluetooth and all of the above worked great in 3G land. I don't live in 4G land, so I'd have to try it tomorrow from work.
  18. pappatech

pappatech New Member

19. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

That's funny. I just tried it and it didn't work for me, lol!
  20. pappatech

pappatech New Member

Just tried all the links and had no problems. Pull them up just as blazing fast as the other sites. I think that the combo of .173 and the http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...3_1-pre105.apk with the routing fix enabled may have done the trick.
Search tags for this page
barnacle razr maxx

droid razr maxx hotspot issues

droid razr maxx hotspot problems
droid razr maxx mobile hotspot error

droid razr maxx wifi hotspot

motorola droid razr maxx wifi hotspot

motorola razr maxx hotspot issues
motorola razr maxx hotspot problem
need alltell mobile hotspot thru razzr max
razr maxx hd hotspot problems

razr maxx hotspot