quick kinda weird question regarding updates

Sigma.xiria

Reaction score
I am long time lurker of this thread and have noticed a few people suggesting to do a FDR when ICS comes out. I understand the benefits of doing so, but I can't figure out if they are saying FDR before you apply the update/take OTA or after you do that. It seems to me that it would make more sense doing so after, but it seems like they are saying to do it before...

So, the ideal is to wipe what GB will be leaving behind when ICS comes out and it seems people are saying this:
On GB 905>FDR>back on GB 905 (fresh clean slate)>take ICS update

But if the point is cleaning out some GB gunk, why FDR on GB to only boot back up in GB before you take the ICS update?

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this:
On GB 905>take ICS update>FDR>back on ICS (fresh clean slate)

Cause then once you are on ICS (OTA or the 235+ leaks) there is no going back to GB 905, so a FDR would wipe the GB gunk out and bring you straight to ICS... whereas doing it before simply puts GB back right before you take ICS and that would mean the GB gunk is still there, right?

Am I over thinking this?

TMYINC

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean FXZ not FDR. The reason we FXZ back to 905 is because that was that last OTA that we have a FXZ for. You must be completely stock and unrooted to take any of the ICS updates. We then root after we apply the update. Once we get an official ICS OTA and not a leak we will also get a FXZ for it. Then 905 will be obsolete pretty much unless people would really want to stay on GB. Hope this helps, if not ask away!

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

Sigma.xiria

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean FXZ not FDR. The reason we FXZ back to 905 is because that was that last OTA that we have a FXZ for. You must be completely stock and unrooted to take any of the ICS updates. We then root after we apply the update. Once we get an official ICS OTA and not a leak we will also get a FXZ for it. Then 905 will be obsolete pretty much unless people would really want to stay on GB. Hope this helps, if not ask away!

No haha! I actually mean FDR.

They say FDR for a clean slate for ICS to run better cause GB leaves behind some stuff that works against ICS (can cause lags..etc)

TMYINC

Reaction score
Ah a factory data reset. It took me a minute lol. Yeah its good to do that and clear cache with ota's. If you are rooted some updater scripts do it for you but its good to do it manually anyhow. If you are not rooted its not really necessary but I have seen some ota's from verizon need it done. Biggest one was the GB update for the Droid X lol.

welsalex

Reaction score

Ok, so you must be unrooted? I am rooted on 905. You are saying I can't update while rooted? I previously believed it didn't matter.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
welsalex said:
Ok, so you must be unrooted? I am rooted on 905. You are saying I can't update while rooted? I previously believed it didn't matter.

Doesn't matter

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

TMYINC

Reaction score
That is what I thought. Just wanted to squash false info. Thank you.

No it doesn't matter but sometimes root doesn't stick with updates. Even with voodoo. So I should have worded that better. I always run leaks on stock and reroot after so that is just my mindset. My apologies. Plus if you are not stock rooted/unrooted and try to run an update through factory recovery you get the verification failed message. So we got to make sure we backup our stock rom.

OP
S

Sigma.xiria

Reaction score
Lol my thread was major high jacked haha! :p

Can anyone answer my question? :)

TMYINC

Reaction score
Lol my thread was major high jacked haha! :p

Can anyone answer my question? :)

Haha yes it was. Are you rooted or stock? Each has a different recovery to factory data reset. If you are stock you can try the update without doing a factory data reset and if you have issues then you can always do it later. For stock OTAs its not really needed but can be done if issues arise. The bad thing is you will have to redownload apps and sign back into Google and so on.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am long time lurker of this thread and have noticed a few people suggesting to do a FDR when ICS comes out. I understand the benefits of doing so, but I can't figure out if they are saying FDR before you apply the update/take OTA or after you do that. It seems to me that it would make more sense doing so after, but it seems like they are saying to do it before...

So, the ideal is to wipe what GB will be leaving behind when ICS comes out and it seems people are saying this:
On GB 905>FDR>back on GB 905 (fresh clean slate)>take ICS update

But if the point is cleaning out some GB gunk, why FDR on GB to only boot back up in GB before you take the ICS update?

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this:
On GB 905>take ICS update>FDR>back on ICS (fresh clean slate)

Cause then once you are on ICS (OTA or the 235+ leaks) there is no going back to GB 905, so a FDR would wipe the GB gunk out and bring you straight to ICS... whereas doing it before simply puts GB back right before you take ICS and that would mean the GB gunk is still there, right?

Am I over thinking this?
I'd do a FDR both prior to and after installing the update. Takes mere seconds, and that way all bases are covered.

OP
S

Sigma.xiria

Reaction score
Haha yes it was. Are you rooted or stock? Each has a different recovery to factory data reset. If you are stock you can try the update without doing a factory data reset and if you have issues then you can always do it later. For stock OTAs its not really needed but can be done if issues arise. The bad thing is you will have to redownload apps and sign back into Google and so on.

I am stock, but may root later ;)

I figure I will FDR twice. Once before and once after.

TMYINC

Reaction score
I am stock, but may root later ;)

I figure I will FDR twice. Once before and once after.

Sounds like a good plan. If you any help let us know. Rooted is always better the not in my opinion lol.