Question for those with an Otterbox?

Caesars

Reaction score
I use an otterbox zagg combo and love it, although I'm tempted to go naked for a few Weeks to monitor the battery life/temp xP

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

huskur

Reaction score
My Maxx has the commuter case and the screen is naked. The gorilla glass is some tuff stuff! Not a single scratch. Never had a screen protector on my D1, DX, TBolt, Bionic or my Maxx. All are still perfect without a scratch. Also, these phones spent alot of time in my pocket with keys and coins. Still no issues

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
the screen protector that came with the case has a lot of finger prints on it and what not. is this normal? i washed it and everything but they don't really come off

We are talking about the Commuter right? Screen protector that "comes with it" you would have had to apply. The Defender comes with an integrated protector.

I use an otterbox zagg combo and love it, although I'm tempted to go naked for a few Weeks to monitor the battery life/temp xP

I think a drop poses a greater risk than cover affected internal temp IMO, so far my temps with case on are mid-range of the "green" gauge.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
yes i got the commuter. came with a separate screen protector that i haven't applied yet (and probably won't.) i don't even know which part is the top and bottom :blink:

nikecar

Reaction score
I went naked for 7 months with no problems. Then I let my sister use my phone to play bowling and got a hairline scratch. Gorilla glass was no match for my sister's ring. WTF? Got the Otterbox commuter today. The screen protector it comes with is horrible. It scratches unbelievably easy. Actually has scratches all over it from the squeegee it came with. I ordered a Zagg from amazon.

I've had my Commuter on for 1 yr at the end of this month on my Inc2. Never been scratched, easy to put on. i've done 2, mine and my coworker's Inc2 that has it still since October.

Its so easy to put on, IMHO, I thought I'd screw it up but it went on easy with no airbubbles. Compared to other screens I've put on an iPhone and generic one for a camera LCD which are night and day.

When I put mine on, I swore that Otterbox was lying and there wasn't a protector on that sheet you use. I couldn't tell at first as it fits almost perfectly to the screen size. Not sure what you all are doing, but its been a great protector. Yes it gets smudges, but no scratches yet. And I keep it in my pocket, and its fallen a few times without issue.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
I have the Commuter and no screen protector, but say I drop my phone...yes it will be safe, but will the screen crack? and can the screen crack WITH a screen protector as well?

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
yes i got the commuter. came with a separate screen protector that i haven't applied yet (and probably won't.) i don't even know which part is the top and bottom :blink:

Very simple. Two(2) tabs #1 remove and apply careful to position and ease the bubbles out as you go.
#2 remove. Done
But, IF you aren't going to apply. Moot point.

nikecar

Reaction score
Very simple. Two(2) tabs #1 remove and apply careful to position and ease the bubbles out as you go.
#2 remove. Done
But, IF you aren't going to apply. Moot point.

Instructions kinda give it away. I've done two and its not hard to figure it out.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
nikecar said:
Instructions kinda give it away. I've done two and its not hard to figure it out.

I kinda wasn't asking how to put it on

Last edited:

MaXKiLLz

Reaction score
I didn't bother with the included protector. I'm using the Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal protector. Feels exactly like naked glass. No stickiness, no orange peel. Lasts forever. I still have one on my 5 year old PDA. It's been sitting in my hot garage for the last few years and hasn't peeled yet.

nikecar

Reaction score
I kinda wasn't asking how to put it on

You stated you didn't know which is the top and bottom. I was responding to that.

If you are talking position wise, there are no cutouts so either way you can put it. Just as long as you put the correct labels facing up, and facing thee screen.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
MaXKiLLz said:
I didn't bother with the included protector. I'm using the Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal protector. Feels exactly like naked glass. No stickiness, no orange peel. Lasts forever. I still have one on my 5 year old PDA. It's been sitting in my hot garage for the last few years and hasn't peeled yet.

That's the feel I want, I'll definitely have to check this one out.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I bought this case. I'd read the reviews on Amazon, and was mislead that the phone still fits in the car dock even with the case on. It does not. I was also not impressed with the size of the screen protector, as I felt it didn't fit right. That said, I haven't even put it on, nor will I. But I unfortunately did tear it out of the box already and can't return it. It wasn't that expensive.

I have dropped my MAXX a few times. No scratches. I'm in a wheelchair and carry my MAXX in a fanny-pack sized bag that has my car keys, wallet and a couple other items. You would think that the screen is pretty susceptible to scratches in that situation. I have not had any problems, yet. I might decide to buy a sleeve as some form of protection for my MAXX.

I do throw my MAXX into my van when I get in, but only a distance of about 2-3 feet. I've dropped it 2-3 feet on a hardwood floor without any sort of problems. For me, as long as it survives that, I'm fine. I'm not going to deliberately chuck it over a freeway overpass just to see if it stays in one piece.

Caesars

Reaction score
Honestly reading how rough you are on phones the OBox was the right option :)