Question for those with an Otterbox?

GSdub510

Reaction score
So I got the Commuter case, recommend it definitely if you're looking for a case. My question is, do you use the screen protector that was included? I don't, seeing that the phone has gorilla glass, but I may be wrong..

WestOkid

Reaction score
I went naked for 7 months with no problems. Then I let my sister use my phone to play bowling and got a hairline scratch. Gorilla glass was no match for my sister's ring. WTF? Got the Otterbox commuter today. The screen protector it comes with is horrible. It scratches unbelievably easy. Actually has scratches all over it from the squeegee it came with. I ordered a Zagg from amazon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
Good to know. Do you know if the Zagg gets air bubbles and smudges easily?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you don't like the grippy feeling if a zagg, try a military shield armor suit. Same material as a zagg, just not textured, also, when you remove the screen protector from your otterbox, use alcohol and rubbing compound to get the adhesive off of the case before you put it on, actually wash the case with soap and water to make sure its thoroughly clean before you put it on the device. I have an entire thread about lots of screen protectors in the maxx section. When you get yours on, please feel free to add your review to that thread :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

4TTubes

Reaction score
I have the Otterbox Commuter also. I did use the screen protector that came with it only because I had it. When I applied it I used the plastic squeegee thingy and it scratched it up pretty good. So for now it is protecting the screen and is starting to show more scratches from normal use. It's been about 2 months and I can see a ZAGG or something similar in the very near future.

jeff70

Reaction score
I tried the screen protector that came with the Commuter for a couple of days but didn't like it so I replaced it with a Steinheil Ultra Fine and have been very pleased with the results

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the commuter. As for going sans screen protector - I wouldn't. Gorilla glass may be scratch resistant NOT scratch proof. Why risk it? I had a verizon glare free (hated it) put on a clear (loved it) glad it was on because it took a scratch.
Next day my Commuter arrived. Was expecting a fight based on what I read.
Removed scratched protector.
Put on the one that came with Commuter.
Put on the case, all told - took me 4-5 minutes. NO hassle at all.
Love how the edges of the screen protector are just hidden under the case.
wipe it down 1-2 times a day to get finderprints off (micro-fiber) good to go.
Have not taken the case off yet to see how much funk is getting inside, probably will soon just to see.
That stuff can scratch your phone up under the case.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Guess I'm the odd man out.... I kept the original screen protector and it has been on for 5 months now and I don't have a scratch. When I had my X I went through one a month.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Guess I'm the odd man out.... I kept the original screen protector and it has been on for 5 months now and I don't have a scratch. When I had my X I went through one a month.

No your not the odd man out lol. I kept the original screen protector on my defenders for a long time. I never got scratches in my screen protector either.

I just wanted a change, so i tried the zagg, military shield, steinheil, and ghost armor and some others off of amazon.

Last edited:

WestOkid

Reaction score
Lucky you, but the screen protector on the defender is very different from the one on the commuter. I can't see how anyone cannot scratch the commuter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
never liked how screen protectors feel while swyping on the screen...plus I'm kind of OCD about air bubbles, they're sorta distracting :blink:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
never liked how screen protectors feel while swyping on the screen...plus I'm kind of OCD about air bubbles, they're sorta distracting :blink:

I don't like air bubbles either, must be why I mastered the install. I get zero now, smooth as the glass it's on.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Update: Just took case off (easy off/on) ALL clean underneath.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I don't like air bubbles either, must be why I mastered the install. I get zero now, smooth as the glass it's on.

The best way to avoid air bubbles is to use a credit card or something similar, a squeegee like some makers provide, and apply it and squeegee at the same time as you lay it down. Takes some practice, and you have to make sure you line it up right, but it helps and comes out to a good looking install :)

So agreed :)

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
the screen protector that came with the case has a lot of finger prints on it and what not. is this normal? i washed it and everything but they don't really come off