Question concerning early upgrades

jstwondrng

Reaction score
All,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but since I imagine we all purchased the Bionic around the same time, how did folks who switched to a new phone do so under Verizon's 2 year contract? I still have to wait until next year for a new phone.

J

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
All,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but since I imagine we all purchased the Bionic around the same time, how did folks who switched to a new phone do so under Verizon's 2 year contract? I still have to wait until next year for a new phone.

J

When you sign into VZW.com where you pay your bill, or their app, it shows your next eligibility date for a subsidized phone.

However, you need to be wary - that if you currently have unlimited data that you'll lose it. VZW has been forcing people onto tiered data plans.

In addition, if you currently are a Bionic owner/user - I would stay put. ICS is coming and many of us here can vouch it makes this phone absolutely ROCK. Plus Jellybean is going to be coming soon after. So it may sound strange but the phone we have had for a year is about to become the phone it should've been. Beyond that, it makes sense to just hold out - there is ALWAYS better stuff coming out - mobile technology right now is in a period of rapid growth and evolution. The Bionic's specs are still pretty respectable for a 1 year old phone.

Hang onto your dough and make the jump when we have quad-core and VoLTE phones available.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
All,

J
I'm pretty sure you are eligible for an upgrade at 22 month. If you really want a new phone out side that 22 months you need to pay the unsubsidized price. You could go to Craigs list, Amazon or Ebay, but beware of bad ESN.
SnyderWeb gave some good advise too.^--^

Last edited:

nk7z

Reaction score
When you sign into VZW.com where you pay your bill, or their app, it shows your next eligibility date for a subsidized phone.

However, you need to be wary - that if you currently have unlimited data that you'll lose it. VZW has been forcing people onto tiered data plans.

In addition, if you currently are a Bionic owner/user - I would stay put. ICS is coming and many of us here can vouch it makes this phone absolutely ROCK. Plus Jellybean is going to be coming soon after. So it may sound strange but the phone we have had for a year is about to become the phone it should've been. Beyond that, it makes sense to just hold out - there is ALWAYS better stuff coming out - mobile technology right now is in a period of rapid growth and evolution. The Bionic's specs are still pretty respectable for a 1 year old phone.

Hang onto your dough and make the jump when we have quad-core and VoLTE phones available.

What are the changes for Bionic one could expect? Or better yet, where can I find the list?

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
What are the changes for Bionic one could expect? Or better yet, where can I find the list?

Follow the Moot.. look for stuff regarding ICS and JellyBean. As I said, ICS on the Bionic is awesome if you haven't yet experienced it yet. As far as beyond that - nothing concrete has been said yet but something will be happening. Beyond this it's pure speculation.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
Google "ice cream sandwich vs gingerbread" for a full list of changes. But for the Bionic; they are over clocking to 1.2 Ghz if you pass a stress test, utilizes the dual core, battery life for me has increased data drops are virtually gone. ICS is a much improve operating system, loads of feature improvident.
I've run 4 different versiosn of the leaks. 232 is the safest as you can FXZ back to .905 just in case. I'm running 427 right now. The major differ I saw between those two were 427 has better battery life.

OP
jstwondrng

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Thanks all! If I have to pay full price for a phone, I'll just wait for next year's upgrade. But, I am thinking about doing the ICS update on my phone. Really tired of waiting and I'm hearing nothing but good things. Now, all I'll have to do is find a reliable posting in regards to instructions for updating the Bionic.

J