Question about replacing digitizer screen myself...

AFemaleProdigy

Reaction score
I have shattered my screen digitizer glass on my Droid 2 Global A956. I build computers and am pretty technical savvy, so I want to try to replace the screen myself. I don't have insurance on the phone and can't afford to buy a brand new phone. I just bought this 6 months ago.

I see on eBay that I can get the screen digitizer with tools for around $16. However, the cheap ones do not come with the adhesive backing. Does anyone have any recommendations for adhesive? The screens on eBay that come with the adhesive are quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks,

Jessica

Reaction score
I'd spend the money and get the one with the adhesive backing. I was in the same position with my Bionic, and got the one without the adhesive. I used my own adhesive, and all seemed well, but after about a week i had a ton of dust under the screen. Ended up having to buy ANOTHER one but with the adhesive. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

lee__D

Reaction score
1. u would need an adhesive backing imo.

2 it's so much harder than any video makes it look. i got my spare tbolt apart, was not nearly able to get it back together

ExodusC

Reaction score
I recently replaced the digtizer on my original Motorola Droid, and the process can be frustrating at times.

I would absolutely recommend getting a digitizer that has adhesive pre-applied, just because it will make it one step simpler.

but after about a week i had a ton of dust under the screen.
Unless you have a clean room environment, I would be prepared to have some amount of dust under the digitizer.

OP
A

AFemaleProdigy

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

I am not worried about the complications of disassembly/assembly. I am very good at that sort of thing. I have watched the video and already can see it will be tedious and annoying, but am willing to take on that challenge. Of course they would make the thing that is most likely to break, the last piece to be removed. Grrr! I have taken the time to read other people's experiences and got some good tips for not damaging certain parts of the phone.

I wonder if there is any sort of inexpensive super thin sheet adhesive that can be purchased separately and cut with an x-acto knife? Sorry, I am very frugal and a big DIY person. It annoys me to pay someone else money to do something I should be just as capable of doing for a lot less money.