question about mac book and music

noble99

Reaction score
question about Macs I plugged my Droid into a Mac book to try and put music on my phone and it never showed up on the computer. is there a trick to do it? or can't u or do I need a app? thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Mac with Snow Leopard. When I connect my Droid via USB and mount a white disk icon named "no name" appears on my desktop that is my Droid.

threejane

Reaction score
i have connected my droid to my macbook, as well. make sure when you connect that you go to the phone's notification pull down and click 'mount' on the usb connected notification. a little disk icon will show up on your desktop and you should be able to open it and pull your music (and anything else you want) to it. drag the icon to the trash before you unplug your droid.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never tried dragging into trash. I always do an Eject. The first time I connected my Mac and Droid I just unplugged the USB and my SD card got hosed. I had to reformat the card.

Mike

threejane

Reaction score
Never tried dragging into trash. I always do an Eject. The first time I connected my Mac and Droid I just unplugged the USB and my SD card got hosed. I had to reformat the card.

Mike

yep, drag to trash and eject will both work.

your poor sd card!

noble99 - also a note on using a mac with your droid...you might want to periodically delete the .trashes folder from your sd card. it's a mac created deleted file cache and it takes up space on your sd card. it's especially a pain if you change out movies/music/images on the sd card frequently as all the deleted files just like to sit in that folder.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip re .trashes, threejane. I've seen that file and figured it was created by the OS. Currently, my .trashes has a file and a folder both are 501. The folder 501 has lots of my music, some update.zip, .res. virginbackup

Is that the file you are referencing?

Mike

threejane

Reaction score
yes that's the file. all the items in that 501 folder *should be* stuff that you have deleted from your SD card. deleting that .trashes folder will free up that space.

before you delete it, though, read the thread linked below. it's the thread that alerted me to the .trashes taking up sd card space:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...771-sd-card-does-not-recognize-deletions.html

you could also just let it be if space on your sd card is not an issue. i have seen the .trashes folder on countless usb drives in my years using a mac and had never really thought twice about it. i just stumbled on the thread about it cause i was curious what it was doing on the droid.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I back up my SD card on my Mac on a regular basis and I use Time Machine for my Mac. Worst case if I delete from the SD card it will be on my Mac or in Time Machine.
Mike

OP
N

noble99

Reaction score
yeah thanks I dumbed it up and forgot to mount it lol and thanks for the tips