Question about installing the newest ICS leak

hoboX10

Reaction score
If I install it, will I still be able to root my phone and then install a custom rom like one xxx? Or would that require s-off?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
No, you should be able to root it just like before. You do not need S-Off to root.

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
No, you should be able to root it just like before. You do not need S-Off to root.
So there's no problems with rooting on the leaked update? And is rooting all I need to install a custom rom? What about unlocking it with the HTC unlocked/some other method? What is the difference between unlocking and rooting?

Sorry for the flurry of questions.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So there's no problems with rooting on the leaked update? And is rooting all I need to install a custom rom? What about unlocking it with the HTC unlocked/some other method? What is the difference between unlocking and rooting?
I do not know anyone who has actually rooted it. But this is a stock ROM...so you should be able to root it like a normal stock ROM.

Ditto with unlocking it...the process should work the same as before.

As for the difference, they explain it here - Difference between unlocking bootloader and rooting - xda-developers - rooting looks like a more extensive version of unlocking, allowing you to install things like a custom recovery.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually unlocking is the first step to rooting on the Rezound and most current gen HTC phones. Unlocking allows access to the system partitions, but you can't touch them without rooting. So you can install a ROM by just unlocking(and flashing a custom recovery), to use advanced features such as root explorer or wifi tether, you need root. Check the guide in my sig if you need more help..or just ask.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I can confirm, Root Explorer will still work without root. You just will not be able to access the locked areas of your system. It will be a normal file explorer.

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
Actually unlocking is the first step to rooting on the Rezound and most current gen HTC phones. Unlocking allows access to the system partitions, but you can't touch them without rooting. So you can install a ROM by just unlocking(and flashing a custom recovery), to use advanced features such as root explorer or wifi tether, you need root. Check the guide in my sig if you need more help..or just ask.
Why do you have to flash a custom recovery to install a rom? What does the recovery actually do, for both me and what is it technically doing to the phone?

Droidrookie84

Reaction score
I'm on stock GB,can I ruu to the latest leak? I'm not rooted,unlocked or s-off

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
I'm on stock GB,can I ruu to the latest leak? I'm not rooted,unlocked or s-off

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
From what I've gathered yes you can, in fact you need to have that stuff to install it. The phone sees it as an official update I think.