Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 & Snapdragon Voice Activation; 75% Faster Charge & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 20, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Apparently, Qualcomm is "playing their cards close to their chest." They just debuted their newest Snapdragon superchips at CES this year, the 600 & the 800, but they saved some additional details for later on. Today they just issued a press statement detailing two cool new technologies in their chips. One is called Quick Charge 2.0, and the other is called Snapdragon Voice Activation. The Quick Charge 2.0 is the next-gen version of their charging technology and will supposedly speed up charging times by 75%! Their Snapdragon Voice Activation is basically a voice-activated wake functionality for the device. Here's the full press release with more details,

• Like Like x 2
  2. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    quick charge! :)

3. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Quick charging is a great idea and I'd love to see it on my device. However, why does the technology move so slow regarding batteries? I'd rather see batteries last longer than devices charging faster.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Part of that problem is companies can just make bigger batteries. It would be nice to have more huge batteries that dont change the form factor of phones. More huge, thin batteries that are removable. Very rarely has a non removable battery been an issue that I recall. More defective non removable batteries could change that.

A big issue is a new phone with a defective battery thats non removable. If everything else was fine....you might get a working battery...and new issues you didnt have before. Do they replace the entire phone, or just the battery?

5. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    This is not the article I read over a year ago, but it is similar. They have been working on producing more energy from the same size battery, not just bigger batteries. I have not heard much on this subject since the original article.

http://m.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/battery-tech-improving-demand-soars-120509

• Like Like x 2
  6. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The problem with batteries is they are regulated by the rules of chemistry. You can't design new atoms (that are stable anyway) or create new reactions, you have to work with what you've got. On the other hand, all hard parts can be redesigned pretty easily and aren't bound by chemistry nearly as tightly.

7. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Aahh...I forgot about that. There is an article here about it too. But I agree 100%. The focus should be on battery technology now. I think there is an article here about LG batteries? Found some LG articles:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/226875-lg-s-own-experiment-claims-lg-optimus-g-has-longer-battery-life-than-galaxy-s-iii.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...emo-videos-battery-improvements-featured.html

• Like Like x 1
  8. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    was just thinking of this same thing. Obviously a bigger battery will need to charge faster, which this new Qualcomm tech addresses. Lastly, there's been a lot circulating about wireless charging. Curious is Qualcomm's new tech will work with wireless charging as well. Between those 3 advances, I may actually be able to get through a whole day on one charge

9. mikekhelxD

mikekhelxD Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    My whole family except for me have the Maxx. They can definitely go for days from a full charge, but the problem is... charging the phone back to full takes forever. So this quick charge will be great even with just having 3300 mAh batt. Unless of course apps find their ways to drain our batts even more.

10. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    that's just a "when"

Search tags for this page
logo snapdragon
logo snapdragon qualcomm

qualcomm snapdragon logo

qualcomm snapdragon wallpaper

qualcomm wallpaper
snap dragon logo