[Q] Need help with wallpaper behind translucent notification bar

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know there is a lot of interest in having a translucent notification bar, and so I've MetaMorphed mine to translucent from droidpirate. It is translucent, but looks black because the wallpaper does not extend to behind the notification bar. I've found workarounds to extend the wallpaper behind the status bar in custom launchers for other phones, but none of them have worked for me on the Bionic.

I'm new to skinning and I've tried to read up on this particular issue, but I'm hoping someone with more experience can put me on the correct path.

Thanks,
Jason

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It has been done on other devices with unfavorable results on certain apps (like not being able to see certain Noti Bar text colors if the apps background is the same), if you are indeed talking about the Noti bar on top...but that aside I am planning to start cracking open the Bionics framework and other APKs so I'll see if I can see what you're referring to. Unless someone else already may have gotten to it...

OP
J

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Thanks Mbk! I'm surprised no one has gone with a translucent notification bar on the Bionic yet. From what I can tell, apps never extend behind the notification bar, so I don't see app backgrounds being an issue (even if it did, I don't think that would bother me). Also, something someone said on another forum may have shed some light. The stock gallery app forces you to crop an image while setting it as the background. This cropping is probably what limits the wallpaper to between the notification bar and the bottom of the screen. Do you think the cropping could be the problem? I'm going to see if there is another way to apply wallpapers that goes around the stock gallery app.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Mbk! I'm surprised no one has gone with a translucent notification bar on the Bionic yet. From what I can tell, apps never extend behind the notification bar, so I don't see app backgrounds being an issue (even if it did, I don't think that would bother me). Also, something someone said on another forum may have shed some light. The stock gallery app forces you to crop an image while setting it as the background. This cropping is probably what limits the wallpaper to between the notification bar and the bottom of the screen. Do you think the cropping could be the problem? I'm going to see if there is another way to apply wallpapers that goes around the stock gallery app.
Cropping has notthing to do with where your wallpaper lines up on your screen, how low and what side, or centered, etc is specified by XMLs...that's why no matter what you crop it diplays exactly the same area of the screen regardless of size you cropped to. certain XMLs will specify for your wallpaper to fill the entire background and that's when your transparent or translucent notification bar would work as you want...gotta see what the Bionic's XMLs look like... I hope I'm explaining it ummm I think so...lol ;)

OP
J

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Cropping has notthing to do with where your wallpaper lines up on your screen, how low and what side, or centered, etc is specified by XMLs...that's why no matter what you crop it diplays exactly the same area of the screen regardless of size you cropped to. certain XMLs will specify for your wallpaper to fill the entire background and that's when your transparent or translucent notification bar would work as you want...gotta see what the Bionic's XMLs look like... I hope I'm explaining it ummm I think so...lol ;)

Oh wow, thanks for clarifying! I wasn't able to figure that out with the theme forums I've been reading, that makes total sense though. I guess I just have to wait until someone who knows what they are doing decides to offer this. I'll keep a lookout, might start looking into themeing and see how tough it would be to learn how to manipulate xml files. Thanks for your info!!!

hmmm I wonder if anyone else would be willing to donate for this to be a priority :icon_eek: