Problems with the ear speaker.

Cerealheed

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

I recently purchased a Motorola Droid 4 from across the pond and had it imported to the UK. After it arrived I quickly had it set up with my provider etc. and everything was going very nicely. About a week or so after I got the phone I received a call and realised that I was not receiving any output from the ear speaker. At first I attributed this to a fault at the calls other participants end but after noticing the problem when speaking to any other individual I realise this is obviously not the case.

All other audio outputs from the device are completely functional and I can hear any call I put on to speaker phone. After some digging around on the internet I've noticed that it seems to be a fairly common affliction with certain user of this particular device.

If anyone has some sage advice I would be much appreciative. I'll probably be removing the back later today to have a closer look and I'm not at all adversed to simply replacing the speaker unit but I would prefer to cross out any quick fixes before it comes to that.

Any advice would be most helpful and I'll do my best to provide any additional information.

Siouxsie

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the same problem and since I have had no time to really fix it, beyond getting a new phone, have found if you push against the back in the middle about half way down you can hear the caller.
It also works perfectly fine when put on speakerphone. However then your like those annoying people who have full on conversations over speakerphone in public.
I have read that it is the solder points attaching the speaker that have broken.
If someone does know how to fix this Please post.

Siouxsie

Reaction score
forgot to mention I have No soldering skills or equipment so if the fix is soldering has anyone been able to fix it any other way?

OP
C

Cerealheed

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Aye pushing against the back works for me to, thanks for the tip. This probably indicates that the soldering is indeed the problem. I think I'll hunt down the speaker and try resoldering it over the coming week, however if I recall the ear speaker is underneath the battery which is quite difficult to remove.

Siouxsie

Reaction score
please post back and let me know how it goes, the difficulty level and most importantly if it works.