Problems with SMS attachments

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Anyone else having send fails with trying to send a picture attachment with a text (SMS) message?

I have been trying to send image attachments with text and they flatly refuse to send, whether on 4G, 3G or even wi-fi. The images are typically only 250K to 450K

Any ideas?

djstinso

Reaction score
One stupid question for ya. You said trying to send an image in an SMS (Short Mail Service) message, well when putting an image into an sms it should change to a MMS (Multi-media Mail service). No if your d4 is not converting to a MMS after you put an image in then it doesn't matter what network you use, the message will not be sent.

OP
NiteCloak

NiteCloak

Reaction score
One stupid question for ya. You said trying to send an image in an SMS (Short Mail Service) message, well when putting an image into an sms it should change to a MMS (Multi-media Mail service). No if your d4 is not converting to a MMS after you put an image in then it doesn't matter what network you use, the message will not be sent.

I did not know this, nor that there was a difference between the two. I assume the phone itself is supposed to know the difference and switch accordingly?

Forgive my technical ignorance here but how do I verify this? Are there any means or tools for doing so?

djstinso

Reaction score
When you insert the image, in a blue box, with white letters, it will say converting to mms. Make sure that has completed before hitting send. Your phone is supposed to do this function automatically, however if the phone has a corrupt messaging service it might not be converting.

OP
NiteCloak

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Well I tried again this morning and watched for the little blue box and the tiny message indicator to go from SMS to MMS. It did. It sent. It worked. I must have been too hastey before.

Thanks.

djstinso

Reaction score
Anytime, I actually had the same issue the first time I tried sending an image too. I noticed the coversion took longer than usual. Happy D4'ing!

Cecdroid

Reaction score
Similar problems

I am also unable to send MMS messages. I have already checked to make sure I was allowing the message to convert from SMS to MMS, and I still receive the "message was not sent" notification. This happens whether I'm using the Verizon network or my own wifi.

Any other suggestions on what's going on? I'd definitely appreciate any help!

OP
NiteCloak

NiteCloak

Reaction score
My wife and son and I have been running some 'tests' using the home WiFi and the Verizon 3G network.

My wife and son have iPhone 4S and I have the Droid 4. We have come to the conclusion that image attachments in text messages (MMS) do not play well between iPhone and Droid. My wife and son have no issues whatsoever sending or receiving MMS between one another, but the second they try to send to me, or receive from me, the messages fail. Consistently.

I was able to get a small 100Kbyte picture to go thru to my son's iPhone but it took 7 attempts over a 90minute period.

I don't know if there is a connection here or just coincidence but we've been testing this for the best part of 3 weeks now and it seemed worthy of posting our findings.