Problems with Google Maps Navigation

bonzomatic

Reaction score
I have an un-rooted X and I am having major problems with Google Maps after their recent update. I LOVE all of the changes, but when I try to use the driving navigation option it ends up locking up the phone and I have to pull the battery to reset it. It happened to me 5 or 6 times during a road trip over the weekend. I never had this problem before the update.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Stacy A

Reaction score
I surely have. I have tried to find information about this issue but it doesn't seem to be widespread. Due to Google's GPS problems, Latitude doesn't work, navigation doesn't work, and another app that my wife uses a lot doesn't work (Runkeeper). If you post in a forum about this most people immediately jump on you about "you have to have GPS enabled", etc... I'm no friggin dummy. These apps worked great up until about a month ago. I wish I could find out what the problem is so I can either wait on a fix or when the time comes, find a different, non-android phone. My family relies heavily on the GPS features in our Droids. Google is just pissing me off.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an un-rooted X and I am having major problems with Google Maps after their recent update. I LOVE all of the changes, but when I try to use the driving navigation option it ends up locking up the phone and I have to pull the battery to reset it. It happened to me 5 or 6 times during a road trip over the weekend. I never had this problem before the update.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

If the app is an issue, Google will update it. I doubt that's what's going on though. You may want to consider doing a factory data reset to see if that helps.

Stacy A

Reaction score
It's apparently not the app itself. In reading up some on this I discovered some info from developers. Apparently if you have other apps that periodically request GPS location at set intervals then the phone has trouble recognizing other requests for GPS info or location data. Somehow it doesn't play well with multiple requests at different intervals. Of course, I'm no developer and I certainly don't understand all of it and I'm not sure I've accurately stated what I was able to understand in what I was reading yesterday. This has been a known issue though for awhile.

P.S.- I also failed to mention that Beautiful Widgets has geolocation issues when set to Google for weather information. This is a widespread issue for BW users.

OP
bonzomatic

bonzomatic

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue. I uninstalled the recent updates then reinstalled them a few days later after a few re-boots and thought it was working better, but it started locking up again during navigation. I noticed this time that the phone itself was super hot on the backside at the bottom. I think the processor may be getting too hot.

n4dog

Reaction score
I have had problems with google navigation for awhile. Mine locks up all the time. It will work sometimes and then other times it locks up.

matt2783

Reaction score
Based on what stacy A says, try unistalling any app that uses gps. Being you're rooted you could back up and do a factory reset too.

Stacy A

Reaction score
I unrooted, hoping that would help fix the problem and help fix the slow response overall of the phone. Of course, I'm in the wrong forum here as mine is the original Droid. I was rooted for about 8 months. Didn't really see any benefit to it other than the custom roms made for some cool looks. The overclocking didn't do for me what I thought it would. So, I unrooted about 3 weeks ago. The phone is still slow to respond and when you take it off the dock in the morning it takes 20-25 seconds before the icons come on, so while you are waiting to be able to use the phone you get to stare at your wallpaper. The original Droid really kind of sucks and now that Google is doing something or the apps are doing something that jacks with the one feature that I really use alot, it sucks even more.