Google Maps Web Download For Navigation

pjjameso

Reaction score
Desktop Google Maps Integration Using Droid Navigation App

Im heading off on a road trip and have used google maps on my computer to determine the best route. Question is how do I get the driving directions on my Droid with my saved route. Am I completly missing the obvious?

Last edited:

dan j

Reaction score
Did you try clicking the "send" button above the map and sending it to your email then opening it on the phone?

If you have time, search here for Chrome to Phone, which does the same thing only much faster. The Chrome extension seems to be down, but there's an extension for a Firefox browser (on your PC) that is highly regarded.

scoder

Reaction score
Chrome to Phone is awesome. Or just open the "Navigation" app on your phone and type it in/speak it

OP
P

pjjameso

Reaction score
Did you try clicking the "send" button above the map and sending it to your email then opening it on the phone?

If you have time, search here for Chrome to Phone, which does the same thing only much faster. The Chrome extension seems to be down, but there's an extension for a Firefox browser (on your PC) that is highly regarded.

Yep, I sent the map to my droid via email and can open the in maps or in the browser on the droid. However using the map app does not save the directions (route) only the beginning and end locations. And of course using the browser doesnt use the gps.

Would be a great improvement if you were able to plan the route you want to take on the PC and then use that saved route on the Droid Navigation app.

Just looking for a smoother integration between desktop and mobile apps as with gmail.

Let me know if any of you guys figure out how to do this..

Customgeo

Reaction score
Save directions to my maps(give it a unique name) in google maps on your computer, open up google maps on your phone look under labels and then more labels. It should give you everything you need. You can then navigate from there.

OP
P

pjjameso

Reaction score
Thanks, that got my route onto the Droid Map App. Now how do I get it to use that route?? Whenever I press directions it asks for the end point and if I select the address it re routes loosing my custom route.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Thanks, that got my route onto the Droid Map App. Now how do I get it to use that route?? Whenever I press directions it asks for the end point and if I select the address it re routes loosing my custom route.

It cannot yet be done. This is the source of one of my two major frustrations with Google (the lack of a Google Tasks API being the other one). Why in the world Google hasn't added a feature to allow us to customize our route is beyond me! It is no-brainer. On a computer while in google maps, customize the route with multiple destinations if you desire, and send it to your phone where the navigation takes it and uses it!

To me, the lack of this feature is what is keeping google maps/navigation app from being a "great" app. It is like Google has these great ideas, but they can rarely execute to a perfectly polished app. Almost everything seems like it is always in beta development.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Yep, you can load a map from google maps on PC, but you can't navigate with it. Lame. That's my major issue with navigation. My only other issues are minor (pronouncing the names of long street names 3 times or more? Not necessary IMO).

OP
P

pjjameso

Reaction score
I couldnt have said it any better myself... appears Google is using the 80/20 rule on completion/execution of ideas. This would be a killer app to be able to define your routes with waypoints on the PC and use the navigation function on the Droid. Google is so close as they already are able to get the route onto the Droid Map app.

BeaverPuncher

Reaction score

It cannot yet be done. This is the source of one of my two major frustrations with Google (the lack of a Google Tasks API being the other one). Why in the world Google hasn't added a feature to allow us to customize our route is beyond me! It is no-brainer. On a computer while in google maps, customize the route with multiple destinations if you desire, and send it to your phone where the navigation takes it and uses it!

To me, the lack of this feature is what is keeping google maps/navigation app from being a "great" app. It is like Google has these great ideas, but they can rarely execute to a perfectly polished app. Almost everything seems like it is always in beta development.

Umm yes you can just when you are looking at the saved map with google maps app open just touch the destination pin on one of the saved points along the route and it will ask you to navigate to it or something along those lines.

I did it not long ago when I went to the Deals Gap and my regular route was closed.

Ken_photo

Reaction score
So then you would have to touch each pin individually and sequentially (after you get to the next pin)?

There should be a way to just once start the navigation and go from one way-point to the next automatically.

BeaverPuncher

Reaction score
So then you would have to touch each pin individually and sequentially (after you get to the next pin)?

There should be a way to just once start the navigation and go from one way-point to the next automatically.

Just touch the destination pin was using the other as a example.

OP
P

pjjameso

Reaction score

It doesnt work for me, if I touch the destination pin it recalcuates the route. What I want is for it to use the route I created on the PC. Please give it a check and if you can get it to work it would be great to know how you did it.... thanks.

BeaverPuncher

Reaction score

It doesnt work for me, if I touch the destination pin it recalcuates the route. What I want is for it to use the route I created on the PC. Please give it a check and if you can get it to work it would be great to know how you did it.... thanks.

When you touch the pin the name of the destination comes up then touch that and 4 icons will appear then touch the map it will ask to navigate from there.

touching the pin brings up the name of the place then a second touch on the name will take you to the navigation part pretty nifty.

SGTiger

Reaction score
touching the pin brings up the name of the place then a second touch on the name will take you to the navigation part pretty nifty.

IMHO, having navigation allow multiple destinations without having to tell it to calculate a route on each leg would be a no-brainer.

The real problem with this app is you cannot customize the route on a PC and have it automatically navigate to your final destination. Sometimes you don't have specific destinations between your current location and final destination, but you want to take a specific highway or road. It is easy to drag and drop your route along the way. It is a real shame that this customized route cannot be used for navigation automatically without jumping through hoops.