Problems Playing MP3's on S4

chipmeister

Reaction score
I have mp3 music files in a few folders I created. They are sorted by genre. Used to be if i opened one of the folders and check marked all the songs there and clicked on one and hit play, they would all play in order. Now, no matter what I do, only the song I click on plays. Don't know what changed but I just cannot figure how to get them to all play sequentially. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
what app are you using to play? the one that came with your s4 or a third party one?

somewhere on the screen, you should have a symbol with two arrows that may cross each other or not or look like an infinity loop. click on it so it will play sequentially. may have to click more than once to get the setting you want. I dont remember which symbol it is since I very seldom play music.

OP
C

chipmeister

Reaction score
what app are you using to play? the one that came with your s4 or a third party one?

somewhere on the screen, you should have a symbol with two arrows that may cross each other or not or look like an infinity loop. click on it so it will play sequentially. may have to click more than once to get the setting you want. I dont remember which symbol it is since I very seldom play music.

Hi, actually, I guess it's Music Player. I believe it's the one that came with the phone. I didn't assign it or choose it, it just opens when I select the song. I'm picking the songs straight from my created file. If however, I go to apps and choose music, I get the home page that does show the shuffle symbol, playlists etc. But I have never used that to play anything. The weird thing is the Music Player worked up until the last time i used it about 5 months ago. Now all of a sudden it doesn't.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there is always a possibility that an update changed it on you. It is something that does happen with apps - even oem ones. just manually set it back to where you had it and if it continues to change then it could be something to worry about.

OP
C

chipmeister

Reaction score
Thanks. I was actually thinking it might have had something to do with an update. One thing, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'manually set it back'. What am i setting back and any idea how i do that? Thanks again.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
you are going have to go back to where you saw the shuffle icon and click it. it should change, may have to click it a couple of times to get the setting you want.

OP
C

chipmeister

Reaction score
Okay, I see. But since none of my music is loaded in that app interface, I guess I'll have to create playlists and the disable the shuffle feature. I was thinking I'd have to do that anyway, Thanks.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Okay, I see. But since none of my music is loaded in that app interface, I guess I'll have to create playlists and the disable the shuffle feature. I was thinking I'd have to do that anyway, Thanks.

for sure you will have to disable the shuffle feature. that would be the only way to play your music in the order you want.

OP
C

chipmeister

Reaction score
So, here's something odd. I discovered in applications manager (for the music app), a button that said 'uninstall updates'. So thinking that an update might be the culprit of the original issue, I clicked it. And it proceeded to not uninstall the updates but uninstall the whole app. So with that having happened, I went to the original folder I had created where I had transferred my mp3 files. I opened it and clicked one of the mp3s, and it played perfectly, and with the same exact control panel popping up that came up before the music app was deleted. So now I'm not sure what is actually playing the music files. It still won't play sequentially but now, with the music app gone (which up until this week I had never seen or even clicked on before), I don't have any indication what is playing the files nor any way to manage it. Hmmm. Wondering now if there is no hope of getting back to where I was before all this starrted or if I should try to download some other music player that will give me control.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
So, here's something odd. I discovered in applications manager (for the music app), a button that said 'uninstall updates'. So thinking that an update might be the culprit of the original issue, I clicked it. And it proceeded to not uninstall the updates but uninstall the whole app. So with that having happened, I went to the original folder I had created where I had transferred my mp3 files. I opened it and clicked one of the mp3s, and it played perfectly, and with the same exact control panel popping up that came up before the music app was deleted. So now I'm not sure what is actually playing the music files. It still won't play sequentially but now, with the music app gone (which up until this week I had never seen or even clicked on before), I don't have any indication what is playing the files nor any way to manage it. Hmmm. Wondering now if there is no hope of getting back to where I was before all this starrted or if I should try to download some other music player that will give me control.

did it actually uninstall or did it uninstall the updates and hide the app?

OP
C

chipmeister

Reaction score
I've been wondering that. It erased the icon in the app list so I assumed it was gone but then I wondered if it was. Turned out I found a new and different icon in the list that opens a player interface. It's a musical note in a circle, and coincidentally, had shown up next to each song in the original file list. Anyway, when I tap it and open the interface, it is different than before but with many of the same functions so I'm thinking you're right. It's still there but now displaying the original interface window after the updates were cleared. I've pretty much given up on being able to play from the original folder as I used to and have just started creating playlists in the app interface. But, I am curious as to why it just stopped working. Anyway, thanks for the help

Last edited: