Problem with links in threaded gmails

lucidstate

Reaction score
Ok so I have this forum set to email me when there are replies to threads i'm subscribed to, nothing special, so does everyone. When I get a second email for the same thread, gmail groups the two emails as a conversation. Whatever that's also normal. The problem is that the second email is truncated on my droid and the link is not clickable and i can't figure out why. It's not truncated when i go to my gmail account on my computer.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and was glad someone else posted this question. I'm anxious to see if there's a way around it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Same problem here....

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yup, clearly this is an issue with the Gmail client as it all works perfectly from the browser... even from the browser on the phone. I understand the limiting download stuff, but there should be an option to grab the full message.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I posted same in the Forum Suggestions Forum here...no response. Extra long URLs are abridged in the Gmail client, and become unusable. Wouldn't an easy fix be to put the URL into hypertext links, as opposed to raw URLs?

Droids

Reaction score
You have to thread back to the first email you received concerning the post you are subscribed to, and the link will be active in that email. All emails subsequent to the first just show the url but it's not a click-able link. It's annoying sometimes and they should fix it (seems like a bug instead of intended) but not difficult to do once you know what to do. Note that even if you delete the first email notification, it's in the trash (label) but still part of the conversation and you can go back to it from within the latest email as long as you haven't emptied the trash.

Reaction score
I would love to see something changed so the link would work on all emails in the conversation thread. I would think that this being a forum for droids we can assume that a very large percentage of people would be using the stock email app and checking forum links from their droid, so this functionality would be great.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to thread back to the first email you received concerning the post you are subscribed to, and the link will be active in that email. All emails subsequent to the first just show the url but it's not a click-able link. It's annoying sometimes and they should fix it (seems like a bug instead of intended) but not difficult to do once you know what to do. Note that even if you delete the first email notification, it's in the trash (label) but still part of the conversation and you can go back to it from within the latest email as long as you haven't emptied the trash.

I simply close the window on gmail or press home button. Then I open the email at my email. The full link is provided there.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I simply close the window on gmail or press home button. Then I open the email at my email. The full link is provided there.

I do the same since I discovered the gmail app limitation. It's not a major problem for me simply because I don't try to manage my email (which is voluminous and full of intricate threads with several contributors) on my phone. Gmail's unique threading approach can be very useful for documenting a complex discussion after the fact, but I don't find it as useful for actively engaging in such conversations. Couple that with the small size of the device and I find the DROID gmail app to be a convenient way to keep up on email but nothing more.

Since I'm seldom without a laptop connection for more than a few hours, I simply wait until I have an opportunity to manage complex threads with a more capable device. (And I use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client to give me a more "Outlook" looking email manager.)

Jer

Reaction score
My laptop went down a few weeks ago and I run my own business via the internet and email so these issues are more noticeable to me than it seems for others. I get put off by people who simply find excuses for glaring issues. To not be able to click on an obvious link within an email is an oversight by the fine folks at Google. Period. It needs to be addressed sooner than later. I would much rather have this functionality than additional home pages and different fonts so I'm not sure who's working on what over at Google Android. I would also like to see the ability to copy text from a received email or at least have the ability to show quoted text as an option on replies. At least then I can copy the text from the previous email and then delete the draft.

JayMonster

Reaction score
My laptop went down a few weeks ago and I run my own business via the internet and email so these issues are more noticeable to me than it seems for others. I get put off by people who simply find excuses for glaring issues. To not be able to click on an obvious link within an email is an oversight by the fine folks at Google. Period. It needs to be addressed sooner than later. I would much rather have this functionality than additional home pages and different fonts so I'm not sure who's working on what over at Google Android. I would also like to see the ability to copy text from a received email or at least have the ability to show quoted text as an option on replies. At least then I can copy the text from the previous email and then delete the draft.

Funny, just because it is the way you expect it to work... it is an excuse if somebody else doesn't?

The e-mail link wasn't a bug... for right or wrong (depending on your point of view), it was a design decision made to help (in theory) improve the experience on a small screen when there is redundant information in the thread.

I can appreciate that you do not like it... I think it was a poor choice as well... even if they wanted to shorten the text, they should have in my opinion left the link active. But it is just that... my opinion. And I will comment on it.. and I will go to the Google Android Community site and add a suggetion along with others that this functionality should be changed, and like most things in an open source world, if that is the way most people want it... it will get "fixed."

I also agree with you on the copying of text... and again, when you have suggestions on things like this I encourage everybody to go to Google Projects for Android go to the community area and suggest it... or star a thread (like adding a vote for that idea) that already exists on the subject.

There are certainly several *glaring* issues with 2.0, including a quite buggy converged email client that is causing people to lose connections and e-mails... but when you see people making "excuses" rather than deciding anybody that doesn't agree with you is wrong... take a moment and try and understand why they are telling you what they are.