Preparing SD Card "Checking for errors."

deltahog

Reaction score
Received a warranty replacement RAZR due to poor battery and the SD card from my old phone continues giving this error -Preparing SD Card "Checking for errors.". I transferred the card contents to a PC and reformatted the card and the message continues. Any help would be aappreciated!

SallyC

Reaction score
Received a warranty replacement RAZR due to poor battery and the SD card from my old phone continues giving this error -Preparing SD Card "Checking for errors.". I transferred the card contents to a PC and reformatted the card and the message continues. Any help would be aappreciated!

Can you format the card using the phone?

To format the phone internal phone storage or your (optional) SD card:
  1. Press the Menu key from the Home Screen
  2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch Storage
  4. Touch Unmount SD card
  5. Touch Format SD card or Format internal storage

OP
D

deltahog

Reaction score

2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch Storage
  4. Touch Unmount SD card

Thanks SallyC. I tried your suggestion, but under Mount SD card - the option is gray and not allowing me to change it. It says "insert an SD card for mounting". So I removed the SD card and reinserted it. This changed the text to Mount SD card and when I click on that it says "SD Card Password Protection SD card has been secured by another device and cannot be accessed unless formatted." Only option it gives is "Yes". Once I hit Yes, it says "Failed to verify SD card security settings. Encrypted content is not accessible." Again the only option it gives is "Yes" so I hit that and it returns to Mount SD card....

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks SallyC. I tried your suggestion, but under Mount SD card - the option is gray and not allowing me to change it. It says "insert an SD card for mounting". So I removed the SD card and reinserted it. This changed the text to Mount SD card and when I click on that it says "SD Card Password Protection SD card has been secured by another device and cannot be accessed unless formatted." Only option it gives is "Yes". Once I hit Yes, it says "Failed to verify SD card security settings. Encrypted content is not accessible." Again the only option it gives is "Yes" so I hit that and it returns to Mount SD card....

By any chance can you format it in your old phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch Storage
  4. Touch Unmount SD card

By any chance can you format it in your old phone?

Sally was spot on. The issue is that your phone doesn't like the format that your PC did (as I am assuming you formatted it on the PC). SD Cards are tricky little devices and they are rather finickly as to the method of formatting. Generally the best way to format a card is in the device for which it's indended. However by formatting it in your PC, you've made it look like it's only formatted to work with your PC, and so it's appearing as Locked.

Your only way out may be to reformat card in your PC, and then insert it into the phone. There is a program utility put out by SDCard.org, found (here), and the instructions for using the utility is found (here). This program is designed to do the formatting properly from an SD Card's perspective. Alternatively you can go to https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ and view the entire page and all links directly.

Even after you use that utility, I highly recommend following Sally's instructions to format the card again in the Android environment to be sure to achieve 100% compatability.

Good Luck!;)

Last edited: