Power Button FAIL

janeldammassa

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a DROID razr, and recently the power button stopped working to the point where I had to revert to plugging my phone in or calling it every time I needed to activate the screen to access my phone. So, I requested a new one in the mail and SUCCESS! Now, I need to mail my old one back in before I get charged the $500. Problem is, the phone died and I need to erase personal information and pictures, as well as retrieve some information off of it in text threads. I've pushed that power button relentlessly in hopes of getting lucky, as well as plugged and unplugged it a few times, as well as pressing the power button + volume down to attempt a reboot. Alas, all to no avail.

Is there a super secret way to turn on the DROID razr that doesn't involve my broken power button?

Also, my new phone has a glitch with the notifications ringtone. I've assigned a new ringtone downloaded from the internet to replace the "DROID" ringtone for my notifications. But, for some reason, the new tone is still followed by the "DROID" tone. I've tried assigning another ringtone from the phone to eliminate the possibility of it being an error on the app's part, but it's still doing it. Sometimes it's the "DROID" tone first, then my selected ringtone, other times it's just "DROID", and sometimes it's my new ringtone then "DROID". Any suggestions, other than a total reset of the phone? I literally just finished customizing it to my needs.

popo127

Reaction score
Can you plug it into your computer and remove the files that way?

OP
J

janeldammassa

Reaction score
Close...

If only there were a way to turn the phone on from the computer. When I plug it into my mac, the white light shines bright, but it doesn't register on my computer because it's not powered on....and I can't power it on. I was very excited for a second, though!

popo127

Reaction score
The white light means your battery is dead. I would plug it onto your computer or a wall outlet for a couple of hours then unplug it and connect it to your computer again. If there is enough battery the phone should turn on when you plug it in to the computer

2. You can access the boot menu and start your phone normally or try recovery in the following way.

Hold vol up and down at the same time. While holding these buttons plug your phone into a wall outlet.

This will either let you charge your battery or go into the boot menu.

In the boo menu you can scroll using volume don and select an option using volume up

Last edited:
OP
J

janeldammassa

Reaction score
Hrm...

In the past, the white light comes on no matter what battery level the phone is at when I plug it into the computer. It had also been plugged in for 4 hrs. at that point....I will try the volume up and volume down, and plug in at the same time. Thanks.